TThurston

Well Known Member
I justed looked at the 2010 General Aviation Manufacturer's Assocation (GAMA) report. They report 889 piston aircraft shipped from all worldwide manufacturers in 2010 (I assume that means certified aircraft only).

Using the Internet Archive Wayback Machine I see that the Van's Hobbs meter reports the number of flying RV's on 1/2/2010 as 6591 and today (2/25/2011) the Hobbs count stands at 7201. That's 610 new flying RV's since 1/2/2010. Van's lists about 30 first flight reports so far this year. So that would mean a total of 580 Van's first flights during 2010.

In comparison, during 2010, Cessna shipped 239 piston aircraft, Cirrus 264, Diamond 129, Beech 51, and Piper 135. Van's had more completions than Cessna and Cirrus combined.

I find all this pretty impressive.

that is extremely impressive, and quite stunning. If this keeps up, over the years we're going to start seeing a higher and higher percentage of the small airplanes flying around our GA airports being RVs. I wonder if the number of RVs at a typical GA airport will ever begin to outnumber the Cessnas. I suppose this is a bit unlikely as RVs aren't used by flying clubs/schools for training.

that is extremely impressive, and quite stunning. If this keeps up, over the years we're going to start seeing a higher and higher percentage of the small airplanes flying around our GA airports being RVs. I wonder if the number of RVs at a typical GA airport will ever begin to outnumber the Cessnas. I suppose this is a bit unlikely as RVs aren't used by flying clubs/schools for training.

It will take a while, seeing as how there were something over 40,000 C-172's built, and they're still in production. Flight school use, not likely given the experimental status.

I do however see the RV becoming the "Cessna" of the homebuilt world. A day when anyone not flying an RV is the outcast!!!

Most of us just can't afford a $325,000 plane to haul the family

The wife and I checked into it after flight training in 2008. I thought about it for about 5 seconds and told the Cessna salesman no thanks. Saved up and ordered the kit one year later.

For many though they either don't have the desire to build their own plane or simply don't trust them. I sure do like to have the options to do what we choose though.

If I made six figures I would not be building right now. I enjoy the building part but will enjoy seeing the country with my family much more.

don'f forget the RVT-6a ?

I suppose this is a bit unlikely as RVs aren't used by flying clubs/schools for training.
( just not here)
...Phil,
seems my foggy memory recalls a batch of 60 or so -6a's built for the Nigerian air force as primary trainers, so yes, they are used as trainers....maybe more than we know? (Hmmm, wonder if they ever flipped one?)
be really interesting to hear how they stood up maintenance wise etc. Note the massive tail!!!! possibly led to the larger tail on the later models?

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/nigerian.htm

Last edited:
( just not here)
...Phil,
seems my foggy memory recalls a batch of 60 or so -6a's built for the Nigerian air force as primary trainers, so yes, they are used as trainers....maybe more than we know? (Hmmm, wonder if they ever flipped one?)
be really interesting to hear how they stood up maintenance wise etc. Note the massive tail!!!! possibly led to the larger tail on the later models?

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/nigerian.htm

I found this at http://nigerianaviation.wordpress.com/2010/04/09/naf-to-resurrect-the-air-beetle/

NAF-076RV-6AAirBeetle.jpg

Note cowl latches, with cowl possibly hinged in the middle. Large rudder with adjustable trim tab. Looks like a modified nose leg and nosewheel fork. The main gear seems a bit more vertical than angled aft - maybe less weight on the nosewheel?

Jim Talbot
RV7A ZK-JLT 70 Hrs
New Zealand

A little off topic, but are the plexiglass corner lenses still avaliable for the 6 wing tips?

This has already occurred for all practical purposes in our area. Any of the local EAA breakfasts will have more RVs on the ramp than C172s or Cherokees. There are still more GA hangar queens but the planes that are being flown are RVs.

Wow........

I and I'm sure many others feel the time has come for the FAA to somehow accomodate the pro-built kit planes...something less than even LSA manufacturing standards, but stricter than home built. Perhaps license only the pro-builders if the kit is already approved. I think the RV and Glasair numbers would really soar then.