tcone1

Well Known Member
Hello,

I'm trying to get a handle on the steps needed to import an experimental aircraft from Canada.

Anybody willing to summarize the process for me?

Thanks,

I've done quite a few of these.
The important thing to consider is that the aircraft must meet ALL the same parameters as a US built EAB. i.e. You must be able to show proof that the aircraft is 51% amateur-built with an eligibility statement 8130-12, builders log, etc.

I've done quite a few of these.
The important thing to consider is that the aircraft must meet ALL the same parameters as a US built EAB. i.e. You must be able to show proof that the aircraft is 51% amateur-built with an eligibility statement 8130-12, builders log, etc.

Mel, what if it's a 1953 CESSNA 305A (L-19 warbird). Would it come in as Experimental Exhibition or Standard?

Mel, what if it's a 1953 CESSNA 305A (L-19 warbird). Would it come in as Experimental Exhibition or Standard?

Caution. If it was an certified aircraft that was converted into the Canadian 'Owner Maintenance' category, it may not be a candidate for importation as the FAA does not recognize this category of CofA.
Also if it was a rebuild under old (old certified parts rebuilt & encorporated into homebuilt projects - rules that have long since changed) 'Amateur Built' category rules, you might still have a tough time getting the FAA to accept it.

Last edited: