Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
http://www.airventurecup.com has just been updated with very important information and more is on the way! Here is what I just found in the Latest News section:

<Begin quote>

ENTRY FEES will need to be paid to Venture Cup Racing. EAA has asked that we handle the fees ourselves. So please make all checks payable to Venture Cup Racing. Did you get that... Venture Cup Racing in case you missed it.

Applications are DUE get them in! No applications will be accepted after June 15th 2007.

The 2007 Race Route will be as follows.

Dayton Wright Brothers (MGY)

to Kankakee (IKK)

From IKK direct to Rockford, IL (RFD) then to the finish line at Lomira.

Rule changes:

Minimum enroute altitude will be 2000' MSL except at MGY, IKK, RFD, and the finish line.

Crossing an airport non towered: minimum altitude 2500' MSL (towered airport at ATC discretion)

<end quote>

This is my best effort to duplicate the new information I am told a no penalty pit stop will be allowed this year but I never saw that at the web site yet. In a private interchange I was told that there is an effort being made to accommodate the Formula Vee racers that have no race to participate in which seems like a good thing to me. I built my plane with extra range for the long races at some performance penalty and the penalty free pit stop is a source of some personal pain but I will just have to live with it. It's the greatest race going!

Bob Axsom
Race 71

personal pain

The rules say "stock" RV for the Red and Blue class. Do you think you deserve to win because you have extra fuel on board? Your extra fuel should not trump other "stock RV's" especially if they are faster airplanes but have stock fuel tanks. Imagine a Nascar race if some cars had more fuel than others. Now that the race is from MGY, fuel shouldn't be a factor for the RV's anyway. I think getting other classes of airplanes like the Fromula V would be great. The fuel stop would make it possible for the Midget Mustangs to race or the Cassutts.

Race 34

Christopher you are joking I'm sure

I do not care how many fuel stops are made nor whether there is any penalty for it. I fly in the race because I would like to win of course but I have reconciled myself to getting a faster speed than I had last year. I must say it is flattering to think someone actually is concerned about me winning, as hard as I try. "STOCK RV" is a joke - it would be hard to find two RVs alike. The organizers of the AirVenture cup race have stated one of the driving motives is to inspire builders to experiment with their aircraft to improve the performance. Range is a performance parameter. When I go up against single pilot tail draggers, with well over 200 hp engines, with tuned props, hard plemums, aftermarket cowls, cut down canopies, I am doing everything I can in my situation to make it fast but winning is not an option. Do I think I deserve to win? Please...

Bob Axsom

P.S. I looked in the program and I remembered talking to you And I remember you and your RV-4 very favorably - I'm sorry if I came off baddly in my response.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
for the fun of it

I got the impression you were hacked off because you went through the trouble to have extra fuel and that the fuel stop would negate any advantage. I do the race for the same reason you do. I like to compare my stock engine and off the shelf prop to the more "tuned" engines and props.
It tickles me when my plain jane plane outruns or equals some souped up, plenum equipped, aftermarket cowled, hot rod. It's a great way to get to OSH and the people in the race are great too. I said after the first year I would not go through the trouble and expense to race but we'll be there this year again... for the fun of it.

See you in MGY

Race 34

You were right of course

Yeah I was disappointed but I got over it. It is a great event and like you I wouldn't miss it.

Bob Axsom