jeffv7727

I am looking at a partially finished kit that is missing the builders logs. The builder passed away and the logs cant be found. How big of a stumbling block is this? Overall construction looks very good

(said in snooty shrink voice) How does this make you feel?

Can you inspect all of the interior? (emp)

Your life will be riding on this work. If you feel comfortable, great. You might wanna think about what might happen if you sell the airplane. If it were me and I liked the work I would create a "proof of workmanship log" i.e. pictures, find samples of his primer process, research and find work to be shown to be in accordance with f.a.r. bla bla bla, vans print number bla bla bla etc. That woud help resale and piece of mind, but it could be quite a chore and be very very time comsuming. But you should get a lower price for the kit because of it. I realize interior pics might be hard since getting your hands on a $50,000.00 pro boroscope to take pics and video is going to be out of reach for most people. But you might be able to accomplish the same thing with small mirors and a flashlight and writing a statement in the logs. Basicly just verify the work and document it like you were an inspector signing the work off. Then you'll have your logs, piece of mind and resale. But it's an exprimental so do as you see fit, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark, I agree with you on the discount on price and it is at a reasonable price. That being said the plane is still open enough to see everything very well and I am going to have a experienced RV builder help me inspect it before I decide to buy or not. But what will it be like to get an inspection and approval without this earlier documentation?

Thanks Mark, I agree with you on the discount on price and it is at a reasonable price. That being said the plane is still open enough to see everything very well and I am going to have a experienced RV builder help me inspect it before I decide to buy or not. But what will it be like to get an inspection and approval without this earlier documentation?

Is the current completion level more than what a Quick Build kit is?
If not, then it is a non issue because the FAA already allows you to have paid for that amount of work to be done

There is an alternative to the $50K bore scope. Rigid makes something they call the Seesnake Mini. It is a 3ft long flexible tube with a camera and lights on one end and a small color TV on the other. They sell for about $200 at Home Depot. I just bought one to look at some water damage from a roof leak that was in a tight spot. It was a no brainer for me to spend the money since I know I will get use out of is on the airplane. I have a QB kit and plan to use the tool to inspect the proseal job on my tanks, not to mention the riveting work on the wings. Just a thought to help with you issue. Jut Google rigid SeeSnake Mini. BTW it only requires a 3/4 inch hole, that will work for most parts of the airplane.

Cheers

Id say its a little past the quickbuild but not alot. The rudder pedals are mounted and the cables are run out the rear. The panel is also mounted.Ill post a pic this afternoon.Gotta get at my honeydo's