thinkn9a

Well Known Member
ok,.. trying to understand the FAA thinking,...

how hard is it to get through the wickets with the FAA folks,.. if title is transferred, prior to signoff? Does that only mean I don't get a repairman s certificate?.. or does it have other implications?

And if it is built and signed off,.. is original owner only one to fly off the initial hrs?

Can anyone help me out with that?

ask EAA

The EAA newsletter answered this some time ago. They said that as long as 50% of the building was done by amateurs, and YOU are the one to register it and you did work on the project, then you can get the repairman's cert.

I would ask the EAA because I am telling you this from memory. But as far as I understand, you can get the repairman's cert.

Prob not a big help, but it might get you started in the right direction...

Mark

Project purchase

Make sure that there is a paper trail all the way back to the kit manufacture of Bills of Sale so you can account for previous owners and that it is now legally yours. Then request a Bill of Sale from Vans. Get any previous owners builder logs and photos if you can.

You can use the FAA BILL OF SALE form but at the top where it says Airplane, line thru 'airplane' and write in 'KIT'.

Get and keep copies of all documents in a file for your DAR and you to use when you finish the bird and are ready for certification. Never send off an original without making copies for your file.

The language from the FAA 8130-12 that must be notarized is:

Ill. MAJOR PORTION ELIGIBILITY STATEMENT OF APPLICANT I certify the aircraft identified in Section II above was fabricated and assembled by Name of Person(s)(Please Print) for my (their) education or recreation. I (we) have records to support this statement and will make them available to the FAA upon request. -NOTICE-Whoever in any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of the United States knowingly and willfully falsifies, conceals or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact, or who makes any false, fictitious or fraudulent statements or representations, or makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any false, fictitious or fraudulent statement or entry, shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both (U.S. Code, Title 18, Sec. 1001.)

APPLICANT'S DECLARATION I hereby certify that all statements and answers provided by me in this statement form are complete and true to the best of my knowledge, and I agree that they are to be considered part or the basis for issuance of any FAA certificate to me. I have also read and understand the Privacy Act statement that accompanies this form. Signature

IMHO,

The EAA newsletter answered this some time ago. They said that as long as 50% of the building was done by amateurs, and YOU are the one to register it and you did work on the project, then you can get the repairman's cert.
It is up to the FAA inspector/DAR. It is my understanding that it is a judgement call. If the inspector believes that you understand the construction and systems of the plane and it does not already have a repairman certificate issued to the plane, then you may be judged worthy.

I would ask the EAA because I am telling you this from memory. But as far as I understand, you can get the repairman's cert.

Prob not a big help, but it might get you started in the right direction...

Mark

Any current pilot can fly the plane after the inspector signs it off.

Any one can work/repair the plane.

The conditional inspection (yearly) can only be done by the holder of the repairman certificate for that plane or and A&P/AI.

I think that you will need to prove that 50% of the plane was built for education and enjoyment. That it was not built by someone trying to produce aircraft just for sale.

Kent

I

The conditional inspection (yearly) can only be done by the holder of the repairman certificate for that plane or and A&P/AI.

Kent

I believe an A&P without the AI can perform and sign off the condition inspection.

AI not required for amateur-built condition inspection.

Kent is correct...Except that the AI is not required to sign off the condition inspection. Any A&P can do it.

That's what I meant.

Kent is correct...Except that the AI is not required to sign off the condition inspection. Any A&P can do it.

A&P/AI, didn't mean both but either. To much short cuts when I type.:)

Kent

Repairman's Cert.

ok,.. trying to understand the FAA thinking,...

how hard is it to get through the wickets with the FAA folks,.. if title is transferred, prior to signoff? Does that only mean I don't get a repairman s certificate?.. or does it have other implications?

And if it is built and signed off,.. is original owner only one to fly off the initial hrs?

Can anyone help me out with that?

Any certificated pilot can fly it to his heart's content, including first flight, once the holy water has been sprinkled by FAA. Just solo tho, until Phase 1 is over.

Once it's all together, if I wander in, and can show I have at least participated in the construction of some if not most of the project, I can apply for, and likely receive, the Registration, Repairman's Cert.,etc... This is how folks with various experimentals built by pros get certificated. The various turbine'd Lancair IVP's going for $500K come to mind. They weren't cobbled together in a garage... But that's just me, YMMV...

Bottom line, if you apply for a Registration and Repairman's Cert for an aircraft that looks like it's going to fly OK, and can show you helped with it, you will have a great chance of getting both. I know of a couple just like this. Again, YMMV, My .02, IMHO, etc...

BTW.... Bear in mind there is no title until the aircraft is Registered/Certificated. Until then, it's just a pile of parts.

Jerry