A5555

Well Known Member
I was able to drill a hole for a -7 snap bushing the in the aft side of the center push rod tunnel (floors riveted) with a unibit step drill using a small hand ratchet and a socket to rotate the unibit. Space is limited. I did it making 70 degree motions. I'm glad I only need one hole. It probably took 30 min but felt like 2 hrs. Is there a better way?

Depends on the size of your unibit shank. If it's 1/4" (or 3/16?) like on some of the smaller unibits (1/2" max), you can chuck it into a right-angle die grinder.

That gets dicey because die grinders are not known for their controllability or precision when used this way. All I know is that it worked for me once: I used this method to drill the holes for something (can't remember what it was), only with a 1/4" drill bit.

A slightly more intense, but probably better, method would be to take your unibit to the local machine shop and have them lathe and thread the shank so it will screw into a 90-degree angle drill. I could see a few uses for that in various places.

Depends on the size of your unibit shank. If it's 1/4" (or 3/16?) like on some of the smaller unibits (1/2" max), you can chuck it into a right-angle die grinder.

That gets dicey because die grinders are not known for their controllability or precision when used this way. All I know is that it worked for me once: I used this method to drill the holes for something (can't remember what it was), only with a 1/4" drill bit.

The Unibit in a die grinder works well. Just drill a pilot hole with an angles drill first. Control the die grinder by running it at a reduced pressure. The Harbor Freight mini one works well -

unibit-angle.jpg

thanks for the help

thanks for the advice. there is a better way. my backside thanks you.