jlfernan

Well Known Member
Like many quickbuilders out there I was suffering the same dilema as to how to set those two pesky rivets in the upper corners of the forward bulkhead. Nothing I tried worked(or I didn't feel confident enough to try) and I did not want to go the pop rivet route. I took a chance and ordered an "Ultimate Bucking Bar" from Webster Tools. Today while I was working in my garage, the UPS dude snuck up behind me and left a small box with my bucking bar in it on my bench. I dropped everything, got out my rivet gun and rivets. Long story short, they're beautiful. I put them in opposite the orientation to the rest of the rivets, but both angles are the same thickness and in any event, they are hidden. You can see in the pictures they came out pretty good, if I do say so myself. I could not have done it without the tungsten bar and of course an outset rivet set from Avery's...

Where I'm not so proud is that while match drilling the forward top skin, the fit was poor, which I did not realize. The first five to six holes in the side that go into the longeron, came out fairly oval. Dimpling them made it worse. While not a perfectionist, I picture my skin peeling back in flight. So, I bit the bullet and ordered a new skin. Ouch, $90.00. I think Vans sometimes prices his parts depending on how often people replace them.

Oh well, three steps forward and one back.

Proud

Proud

Not so proud