BHunt

Well Known Member
I've been in South Korea for the past year and a half thinking about the day I will return to 'Merica and start looking into airplane ownership. I just found out my next assignment will be taking me to Hill AFB in June. I am not ready to build, being still on active duty and I want to be able to fly now, but would be interested in an opportunity to learn what it takes to own an airplane. I am originally from Lemoore, CA so an airplane would allow be to be home in a 3+ hr flight vs an 11.5 hr drive. I have a buddy at Hill that tells me he was able to work a deal with an owner to fly his airplane and pay a portion of fixed costs. I am just trying to see what the RV community is like around Hill AFB and what my options are.

FWIW, I am an F-16 pilot with about 300 hrs in the Viper, close to 600 hrs total. Commercial Multi-Eng, centerline thrust. Not High Perf or tailwheel but looking to get those endorsements as soon as I get back to the states.

Look forward to talking to anyone in the area.

...I am an F-16 pilot with about 300 hrs in the Viper...

While I do recognize that we are talking very different airplanes here and that a good checkout is very much appropriate, I do have to grin at the idea that an F-16 pilot is required to get a "high performance" endorsement to fly a relatively low powered and slow puddle jumper.

While I do recognize that we are talking very different airplanes here and that a good checkout is very much appropriate, I do have to grin at the idea that an F-16 pilot is required to get a "high performance" endorsement to fly a relatively low powered and slow puddle jumper.

Ha. I've often thought about that one myself.

Check in with ScottSchmidt. He's on these forums, and has built and flies both an RV-10 and an RV-12. I think he flies out of Bountiful (KBTF) and he should know most, if not all, the RVers in the area. I used to fly into Ogden Hinckley as a passenger but that was a long time ago. There may be some RVs there, and that's the closest civilian airport to Hill AFB. I did see an RV at the Brigham City airport once, but I wasn't sure if it was based there. That was about ten years ago.

Glad to hear you're coming back to the states, and thanks for your service to our country. :)

Quite funny to me as well Larry - but then, I still need to get a motor glider endorsement to fly a Grob, even though I have a ton of time logged in the "five-engined, self launched (heavy) glider".;):D

Utah

Congratulations on your relocation to Hill AFB.
We fly to Ogden from Skypark quite often for breakfast and lunch. It would be easy to meet you there.

When you get in, drop me a line and we can go fly.

Scooby, if you are talking about Ryan, I am the RV-10 owner. I am also the president of the local EAA chapter (Chapter 58) (kind of an non volunteer, volunteer position). We have a small chapter up here in Ogden, but we do have a fair number of RV builders and owners. Also a number of retire AF guys, most of us not pilots in the Air Force, but we do have one active member who was a former F-16 guy. If you are seriously looking, I can put the word out.

Would a two seater work? RV6/7/9?

BHunt,

Sean here, I have an RV10 and fly out of 36U and SLC. I stop by at Scott's place at BTF too. One of us should be available when you want a ride and/or talk about ownership.

Congratulations on your relocation to Hill AFB.
We fly to Ogden from Skypark quite often for breakfast and lunch. It would be easy to meet you there.

When you get in, drop me a line and we can go fly.

Definitely will do.

Scooby, if you are talking about Ryan, I am the RV-10 owner. I am also the president of the local EAA chapter (Chapter 58) (kind of an non volunteer, volunteer position). We have a small chapter up here in Ogden, but we do have a fair number of RV builders and owners. Also a number of retire AF guys, most of us not pilots in the Air Force, but we do have one active member who was a former F-16 guy. If you are seriously looking, I can put the word out.

Would a two seater work? RV6/7/9?

I think we are talking about the same person. I was looking into the EAA chapter and was interested in getting involved when I get out there. I am seriously looking. I won't be out there until June and finding a place to live will be the first priority. But trying to find a way to go to Fresno State games on a short flight will be soon after. My heart is not set on one specific model, but leaning towards tandems.

BHunt,

Sean here, I have an RV10 and fly out of 36U and SLC. I stop by at Scott's place at BTF too. One of us should be available when you want a ride and/or talk about ownership.

Will take you up on that. I'll get in touch when I get out there.

BHunt,

If Sean is flying, I typically try to go too. You might have to invite 5 of your closest friends.