me too

Well, after 67 hr of flight school getting ready for my check ride (still having trouble with those danged steep turns) and my RV9A is a couple or three months away from its first flight.....

I guess its too late to back out now:D

Welcome to the club...

Dave
-9A FWF kit
N514R

Training Time

Eric,

I'm not sure by your comment if you're talking about starting out with flying lessons or if you're looking at transition training. But if you're starting out, you might look into doing at least some of your training in a taildragger...assuming that you're getting an RV-7 and not a 7A.

Not sure what they have for training aircraft in your neck of the woods, but building up some tailwheel time while you're learning to fly will help you out when you finish your plane--both in experience and to satisfy insurance requirements.

Just something to think about. Enjoy the journey!

Dave,

Thanks for the tip. I'm starting out training for my pilot's license in a Cessna 150. Eventually I will want to take a transition training course but probably not until I'm close to having my own aircraft. I'm sure that if I take it too early I'll forget most of what I learned by the time I need to know it.

Eric

Last edited:
Good For You.........

Eric, good for you. I waited way too long in my life to start flying. I am now 61 next month. I started building my RV6 about four years ago, had never flown anything. Finished it in Mar 09, started training in it in Sept 09. I have never flown another airplane (other than about 4 hrs in a Champ), now flying the 6 solo getting ready for a checkride. If I can do this, anyone can.

I have never flown a 150, but hear they are quite different. Come to Conroe and you can get some time in a TD. Most of all never give up, never put it off. There is always a way.

People will tell you, your "Nuts" for building a plane and not having a license. They know nothing, good luck!

The sooner, the better.

Dave,
Thanks for the tip. I'm starting out training for my pilot's license in a Cessna 150. Eventually I will want to take a transition training course but probably not until I'm close to having my own aircraft. I'm sure that if I take it too early I'll forget most of what I learned by the time I need to know it.
Eric
Learning to fly tail wheel airplanes is much easier if you transition in the early stages of training.
It's very easy to develop bad habits of "driving" nose wheel airplanes. These habits are extremely hard to break once established. Get in a tail-dragger as early as you can.

I'll see what I can do. I understand there's a fellow up in Dallas who teaches a transition class in an RV-6. I wonder if the hours spent taking that instruction would count for my pilot's license.

The biggest thing holding me back on all this is just money. But 2010 seems to have started well and if I have a good year I'll be able to do all this sooner rather than later. I've got some toys on the the chopping block too and if they sell those funds will go towards aircraft components.

Last edited:
Well, after 67 hr of flight school getting ready for my check ride (still having trouble with those danged steep turns) and my RV9A is a couple or three months away from its first flight.....

I guess its too late to back out now:D

Welcome to the club...

Dave
-9A FWF kit
N514R

Adjust your power up a tiny bit and then remember: "yank and bank"
You'll get there!!

Learning to fly tail wheel airplanes is much easier if you transition in the early stages of training.
It's very easy to develop bad habits of "driving" nose wheel airplanes. These habits are extremely hard to break once established. Get in a tail-dragger as early as you can.

I mentioned that to my instructor. He said that he thinks he knows of a tail dragger we can use as part of my instructions.

I'm even more committed now: I just got a great deal on an RV-6 kit. It's got two empennages, one that's finished and one that's untouched. Now that Van's isn't selling them what would a fair price be for the extra one?

Speaking of that whole tail dragging thing, what are the pros and cons of just building it as a 6A?

Last edited:
yank and bank

thanks for the tip Paul.

closing my eyes and screaming hasn't worked so I'll try yank and bank:D

Dave
-9A FWF kit finished (painting next)
N514R