jongurley

Hello guys, I am new to the site and am currently trying to sell my Cessna 150. I flew in my buddies RV7 several times and loved the way it flew, I was sort of wanting a tandem seating airplane and if the RV4 flys as good as the rv7 I would like that. I was wondering with my stature if a RV4 is feasible, I weigh 250 lbs at 6ft tall although I am big I am bigboned and that is were most of my weight is, not necessary big around. Anyway just wondering about your thoughts or opinions, and just for FYI I have looked at some RV8's but they are a little out of my price range so I was leaning towards the RV4.

Yah. And maybe better in some rv-4's then others. My rv-4 has the seat and roll bar moved back a inch or two.

You would have a tight fit in the back seat.

Chris.

Thanks for the inputs and any more opinions anyone has, Mike I love the looks of a rocket, but there alittle out of my price range,, I was looking to buy something ready to fly in the 35-50k range.

Good fit

I?m exactly your size, the -4 is a great fit, my seat is also moved back some however I fit the standard -4 easy with the seat back cushion removed. Have fun!

Will I fit?

Hello guys, I am new to the site and am currently trying to sell my Cessna 150. I flew in my buddies RV7 several times and loved the way it flew, I was sort of wanting a tandem seating airplane and if the RV4 flys as good as the rv7 I would like that. I was wondering with my stature if a RV4 is feasible, I weigh 250 lbs at 6ft tall although I am big I am bigboned and that is were most of my weight is, not necessary big around. Anyway just wondering about your thoughts or opinions, and just for FYI I have looked at some RV8's but they are a little out of my price range so I was leaning towards the RV4.

I am about the same size. Fold your charts the way you want 'em before you launch!!

I do appreciatte all the reponses guys, maybe this thread will benefit someone else with the same questions as me,, I need to find someone around North Carolina that has one, I could fly my 150 over and sit in it and see how she feels..

I have relatives in High Point. If you haven't found one by spring, hang on to my email address & remind me after the weather improves. We've flown up there a few times, & will probably do it more often after I retire.
[email protected]

If you fit in a 150 with a passenger, you'd probably fit ok in the front seat of a -4.

Charlie
RV-4 (which will be for sale after the -7 is complete)

Yeh Charlie me and another 185 lbs guy can get in my 150, we are of course close and touching shoulders, real friendly as he calls it lolol. So maybe it will work out, I have got up with some fellas at Stag Air Park new Wilmington, NC and might fly there tommorow after lunch and sit in one of them and check them out.

I am of average build and 6 foot tall. I find my head touches the canopy annoyingly when I "sit tall". About the only thing I can say is good about having to make myself a new canopy (after cracking the one I was working on) is that I may be able to blow one a little taller and roomier.

http://rv-4builder.blogspot.com/

Cheers !

Yes, you will fit.

I am 6.2 and over 200lbs and I fit in a RV4. Although you will see why a few inches made the RV8 popular with large pilots. More wiggle room.

On the RV4 You can shave the seat back down to make more leg room and the reduce the seat cushion for head room. Go with Oregon Aero for replacement seat cushion material, as they are one/if not the best for max comfort with the least material. You save a lot flying a RV4. No big guys will do well in the back for long. Good luck and don't give up on a RV4. It is worth it.

RV-4 Fit

The 7 is a great plane, but the -4 is the Corvette of the series. You will not only fit, but you will have more room than you and another person in a side by side. Before you buy though, sit in one. I think you will be happy.

I understand,, there are some nice RV4's for sale, I just need to get rid of my Cessna 150,, if any of you folks know anybody looking a IFR equiped 150 let me know, a NICE 150

In an RV4 you will have 24 inches at the sholders, per Van's specs.

This means you will have 2.5 inches additionally at the sholders.

Compared to the RV7 divided at a 50% centerline you have only 21.5 inches, per Van's specs.

I fly a RV7 and don't have 21.5 at the sholders or any extra room when staying on my side. The 21.5 is closer to 20 inches as there is a internal rail at just below the sholder area that is close to 2 inches making the cabin usable room decreased by that amount. That is the real deal. I do have 1 inch more head room than a RV4. I remember a guy that added some built up portions on the side rails to attach the canopy at a higher level than stock. Reducing the seat cushion would accomplish the same and be simple to test what you could live with.

Interestingly, the RV8 has no more sholder room than the RV4, per Van's specs. Anyone have any comments about this?? I thought the RV8 was bigger? Never been in one myself.