olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
I have a Narco 122 self contained ILS which works great but I'm looking for a change. I can fly the localizer needle just fine because it is a long needle and easy to see trends develop quickly. The glideslope signal is a little harder to keep centered because it is a very small one compared to the localizer.

Does the Garmin SL-30 have ILS frequency capability and if so, what would be a good 3 1/8" indicator I could pair with it that will have full size localizer AND glideslope needles?

Yeah, I know- "Hey why don't you just upgrade to glass"? Because I don't want to have my airplane down again for a big upgrade and not be able to fly. Plus I'm kinda partial to my "steam" panel.

Oly

The SL-30 is a comm / nav / ILS receiver. It has a single coax connector for the comm side and a single coax connector for the nav side. This means that it already has its own internal splitter to split off the glideslope signals from the VOR/localizer signals.

As far as indicators go, a quick google search will reveal which indicators work with the SL-30, but in the homebuilt world, some of your best value for money really does come in the form of "glass". For about the same money as the Garmin "steam" indicator you can get a small EFIS which will give you the VOR/ILS needles, PLUS backup attitude, heading, airspeed, altitude, skid/slip etc etc. When you look at the value brought by these mini-EFIS sytems they are very hard to beat, if for no reason other than they give you a complete backup set of 6-pack instruments "free" with the price of your nav head!