Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the iLevil system? Doesn't look like it is yet available for purchase, but thought there might be some beta testers here on the forum.

Thanks,
Greg

I bought one...Didn't work.

I bought the iLevil SW. The darn thing doesn't work. I received it on Friday March 22 (2013). I messed around with it most of saturday afternoon. I tried using the AHRS utility, but it didn't work. I downloaded and installed WingX. It didn't find it on the WIFI network. :-(

For others that are curious, I have an iPad Mini.

I reached out for help by phone and email. No response by email over the weekend. I'm hoping that I'm just being stupid. I usually don't buy bleeding edge, but I am really hoping this device is all that they say it is and is reliable.
Hopefully on monday they will let me know what I am doing wrong or just send me another unit. It is possible I just got a bum unit.

I'll let everyone know how they treat me and what the final outcome is.

This company is based in Florida and Sun N Fun is just right around the corner.

Try downloading FlyQ app from AOPA free for 90 days. It has a switch in the setup Ilevil on. Might be better integrated. FlyQ is a new app and advertises its integration with Ilevil. I'm interested to see how it works.

So far so good...

I spoke with the ilevil folks on the phone this morning. They are very nice and courteous. Here's what went wrong in my situation.

1. I am using ilevil-sw
2. I downloaded the ahrs utility and started it.
3. I clicked connect.
4. There is a debug box in the right hand side of the application that had a bunch of messages go by including "rebooting"
5. After it rebooted, my wifi no longer worked.

Ananda at ilevil said that the ahrs utility program reconfigured my wifi settings when I clicked the connect button. The ilevil ahrs utility was only intended to be used for the ilevil-mini.

At that point I was SOL and have to return the device to be reconfigured back to factory settings.

So that being said, they intend to update the ahrs utility to work with ilevil-sw device, but in the meantime, do not use the utility with this device.

They assured me that this device already works the Wing-X program. As bugsby has suggested, aopa efb is compatible with this device... at least that is what the literature suggests. I have not used aopas product with any ilevil device. I downloaded it a while back and my trial period is over, so I won't have an opportunity to use the aopa product with the ilevil product. I'm sure that that the aopa product is good, but I am already committed to wing-x for the next year and don't want to spend some more money on the aopa efb product right now. In the future I may ask them to reset the trial clock to reevaluate it with ilevil ahrs.

I'm sending the device back today and hopefully will get it back by the end of the week and will try this again with wing-x. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

It works now!!

The iLevil folks sent me another unit. It arrived today. I was able to test it right away and it is working with wing-x.

It also came with a nice printed card warning the user to NOT use the ahrs utility.

I can see the attitude indicator working as you would expect it to.

GPS is working.

I have not flown with it yet, so I can't see any ads-b towers( at my home on the ground in arlington, tx). So, I will report back on the weather.

Update:

Weather -- I finally got around to flying with the unit. I flew from gpm up to 053 in northern oklahoma. I didn't really fool around with wing-x until I was past denton and in a cruise confirguration... (4500 msl) going up there and coming back. While in cruise the ads b stuff worked and I could see the metars. Wing-x is not my number one choice in software and I am hoping that the foreflight folks start to support ilevil.
I never really saw radar returns when I zoomed all the way out to look at the entire United States.

Traffic: -- I had a short flight on a bluebird day last weekend. There was a ton of traffic flying around... So I flew and looked out the window and amanda operated the ipad. The traffic worked pretty well considering how it is currently hobbled. At first I could see my self for a while. We had a ghost following us around. It turns out I needed to change a config setting in wing x to use gps. Amanda was just dragging the map around to see the traffic. The traffic would appear and then disappear. As most folks know by know this is due to having some one flying nearby my position with an ads-b out transmitter and a request was made. Then we would be able to see the traffic. When I flew to oklahoma, I saw very little traffic displayed.

Final Notes:
On the flight to oklahoma the ilevil device did glitch and I had to turn it off and back on. It stopped talking to wing-x. It never had an issue after that recycle. I am not convicned that it was an ilevil issue and was possibly a wing x issue as it (wing-x ) crashed and I had to restart it. After ilevil comes out with their own diagnostic utility it will be easier to diagnose elusive anomalies.

AHRS: It worked well, but it would be nice to have a horizon offset adjustment in wing-x to compensate for the glare shield being tilted. I put some tape on the bottom of the ahrs to "adjust" it and it worked.

Overall I like the product, but am reserved until I use it a while longer. I am really hoping that the weather is as good as what I am used to using with XM-weather coupled to the garmin 496. I think a lot depends on how well the software displaying the ahrs/weather/gps etc is working. I may still try the ilevel out on the FlyQ. I emailed those folks (FlyQ aopa) and didn't get a response from them... so I am not exactly impressed with their customer support.

Hope this helps others.

Last edited:
G-Mini-AW

I've been wanting to purchase one for a while for the back seat. The G series has been around quite a bit longer, does anyone have experience with those? Thanks