teaguy

Thanks to all who responded. As suggested I swapped the leads to the coils and restarted the engine and it ran fine! I originally tested cylinder #1 with the flywheel at TDC and #1. Obviously this is not a final indication of the over all ignition cycle. As suggested I must have been out of phase 180 degrees? Now I am that much closer to the prize. Keep up the good work.
Mark Mercier
RV-7A
Vancouver, BC

Mark,
You're welcome.

<< I originally tested cylinder #1 with the flywheel at TDC and #1. Obviously this is not a final indication of the over all ignition cycle.>>

The system fires before every TDC, so it doesn't matter if the TDC you check is the beginning of the intake stroke or, 360 degrees later, the beginning of the power stroke. You just got your lead pairs confused and had the system firing at BDC. Easy to do.

There are operations where you need to correctly identify the "beginning of the power stroke" TDC. Just remove the top plugs, then press your thumb against the spark plug hole on the cylinder of interest. Now rotate the prop. When air pressure blows your thumb off the plug hole, you're approaching TDC.

Dan