N661DJ

Well Known Member
Anyone have a source for the 2 piece plastic blocks that attach to the rear baffle wall insulating the ignition leads as they go thru the baffle?

I couldn't see spending $50 for a pair of these. 20 minutes at the bandsaw and drill press, I made them from a $2.00 walmart cutting board that I had been carving up for various bits like this.

Larry

Steve,
Sounds like a potential market, these are certainly worth more than .10 cents. $21.15 ACS.
I am not familiar with 3D printing, what material would they be made of?
Dick

I was just looking for some of these as well, Vans said that a simple rubber grommet for each lead is fine but may need to be replaced more often, easier on the leads though.

I will be firing up the CNC router for these parts. I have to justify building the thing somehow. That and the internal rudder stops and instrument panel.

I was just looking for some of these as well, Vans said that a simple rubber grommet for each lead is fine but may need to be replaced more often, easier on the leads though.

You may have a hard time finding a grommet with a large enough OD. If I remember correctly, the hole has to be 3/4" or 13/16" to clear the nut.

Correct grommet

You may have a hard time finding a grommet with a large enough OD. If I remember correctly, the hole has to be 3/4" or 13/16" to clear the nut.

Get a grommet that fits the ignition lead and cut it. Wrap it around the lead and superglue the ends together. Then install into the hole

Gary

Get a grommet that fits the ignition lead and cut it. Wrap it around the lead and superglue the ends together. Then install into the hole

Gary

I was referring to the outer diameter of the grommet (sized to fit the hole in baffle necessary to clear the nut). The ign lead is about 1/4" and the OD needs to be 3/4" or more. I suspect they exist, but I have not seen grommets with that type of spread (most are 1/8" or 1/16" delta on the radius - need 1/4" for this application)

Larry

Last edited:
Steve,
Sounds like a potential market, these are certainly worth more than .10 cents. $21.15 ACS.
I am not familiar with 3D printing, what material would they be made of?
Dick

PLA, Nylon, or ABS. Which would be best? I'm still new to this and looking at materials.

If the PLA you are refering to is polylactic acid, then thats a negative.
Its temperature resistance is awful. It would blob on the first flight. :eek:

ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) is fair. Might survive the underhood temps. Not my choice because of the styrene component properties effect on long service life in a hot, oily, fuely environment.

Nylon is the best of the three.

Last edited:
Agree, nylon seems best.

I'm setting up TAZ 6 3D printer and I only purchased the PLA filament mat'l. They say this machine will nylon. Nylon filament price = $18 / lb. This seems like a part worth trying to print, simple and small.