ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I have the all-weather harness (3/4" nuts on the plugs) on my O-360. On a couple of plugs the shield has pulled away from the nut, exposing the rubber insulation of the ignition wire.

I am concerned that eventually the wire might chaff through and arc. I have thought about shoving some RTV around the wire to support it, but that seams too hokey...

Is there a way to remove the red rubber end that goes into the plug, shorten the wire, then reassemble so that the shield is once again down inside the nut?

Thanks,

Depends. If it has a nut ferrule with 2 pieces and the threaded spike holding the spring its easy. Pull the spike/spring, split the 2 piece ferrule with sidecutters or similar. Then clean out the broken braid, shorten the center conductor, and reclamp the ferrule further up the braid. If its a crimped ferrule....well disregard.

Thanks for the response, Dave..

Here is a photo of the type of lead they are:

21axonr.jpg

I am not sure if this is the type of lead you are referring to. My A&P friend across the road couldn't figure out how to shorten them, and I am leaving for my annual camping trip to Johnson Creek and beyond on Sunday, so I didn't want to mess with them too much.

It is something I would like to address when I return in two weeks, so any input from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks,