BruceMe

Well Known Member
I need some advice.

Situation: I have a first run-out O-320-B2D. It has Bendix SOS magnetos. I've been told they are wonderful mags, but they will likely cost $1,000 each to overhaul. The harnesses are shot too.

Here's what I see for options...

1 - Overhaul the mags, new harness $2,200
2 - sell the mag cores, buy e/pmag and new harness $1,200 (w/core trade)
3 - Just get a new harness and keep flying the mags till they go. (~$200)

What are folks take on emagair's system? Is it really a proven replacement?

-Bruce

Exchange......

Hi Bruce,
We had the exact same scenario a couple of years ago on our 180 Lyc. We exchanged the mags for new Slick mags and the kit which included new harnesses and spark plugs for $1100.00 The way to go in my opinion.

Regards,

No they won't. They run about $550 a piece overhauled from ACS. They just want your core back. You could by new Bendix outright for less than $1000 each. I personally like the Bendix better than the Slicks, but the Unison harnesses are really nice.

My suggestion. Buy an exchange for one of the bendix, then get either an E-mag or Lightspeed EI for the other. Should be pretty cost effective, still gain the benefits of EI without sacrificing the peace of mind of the tried and true mag.

Well, here we go....

Regarding KISS, it is not obvious which is simpler or more reliable. I believe that the Lightspeed direct crank pickup is the only no-moving-parts ignition at this time, so one could make the argument that it is perhaps the simplest. I am biased, as I have the LS system now and I've previously have had two mechanical failures inside Slick magnetos. My experience clearly does not prove anything, but no moving parts and no digital circuitry (i.e., no software) is quite robust.

LIGHTSPEED

AlexPeterson said:
Well, here we go....

Regarding KISS, it is not obvious which is simpler or more reliable. I believe that the Lightspeed direct crank pickup is the only no-moving-parts ignition at this time, so one could make the argument that it is perhaps the simplest. I am biased, as I have the LS system now and I've previously have had two mechanical failures inside Slick magnetos. My experience clearly does not prove anything, but no moving parts and no digital circuitry (i.e., no software) is quite robust.
Ask anyone that has a lightspeed what happens when they shut off the mag?

Nothing happens. It's like the mag has nothing to do after the LS fires. But it is nice having the mag as a back-up.

I fly the 6A at 2000 msl at 21 and 21 fix pitch true at 150 +- and burn 5.3 to 5.7 gph. Clean pipes, clean spark plugs, and I don't have lead buildup.

Check out lightspeed!!!! also easy starts every time. :)

P.S. spark plugs are $2.50 each :p