Greenley

Well Known Member
Currently the options for an IFR w/WAAS certified GPS are very limited. As I dream of future panels, do you hear of any realistic options to the 430 coming along? Will ADSB-out requirements possibly help generate some new choice?
Bill Greenley
Dreaming about a panel that is still serveral years off.

Hopefully it will be a reasonable cost and have communication capabilities to talk to the existing experimental EFIS units.

Yeah I know I ask for too much.

G3X needs an internal certified WAAS GPS

I should make a correction, it is NOT a product from AFS. We do hope to be shipping the AF-5600 in the first quarter still. Our engineers are hard at work!

I don't know details other than what's come across the rumor mill. I hear a new TSO'd WAAS GPS box will be announced at Sun N' Fun. That's all I know, but from a very good source.

now that I have 150 hours on my plane I think this needs to be the first year to fly to Sun N' Fun. Sure would love to see a certified WAAS GPS built in to the Garmin G3X; that would be sweet.

Wouldn't we all . . .

I'd like to see something with the GNS430's capabilities, for about 1/3 of the price. :D
The capabilities you can get. The IFR certification (and therefore the price) will always be the sticking point.
I doubt you'll ever see IFR certified experimental units - "certified experimental" is pretty much an oxymoron.

The capabilities you can get.
Where? The 430 holds a nav database, can take a flight plan, and provides navigation along the plan with outputs in both digital (RS-232, ARINC-429) and analog (nav needles) form. Of course, it also has GPS receiver.

I'd love to know where I can get this set of functionality elsewhere... certified or not.

Capabilities...

Where? The 430 holds a nav database, can take a flight plan, and provides navigation along the plan with outputs in both digital (RS-232, ARINC-429) and analog (nav needles) form. Of course, it also has GPS receiver.
I'd love to know where I can get this set of functionality elsewhere... certified or not.
I've only used them a few times, but I thought the high end Garmin Handhelds (396/496, 6xx...) can do all of that, including approaches. The only thing they probably don't have is the ARINC interface. I know of installations where a 496 drives an A/P via the RS232.

I've only used them a few times, but I thought the high end Garmin Handhelds (396/496, 6xx...) can do all of that, including approaches. The only thing they probably don't have is the ARINC interface. I know of installations where a 496 drives an A/P via the RS232.

I suspect the key is that the handhelds do not meet whatever TSO is applicable. I think there may also be a prohibition against non-panel mounted nav systems.

Absolutely true

I suspect the key is that the handhelds do not meet whatever TSO is applicable. I think there may also be a prohibition against non-panel mounted nav systems.
IowaRV9Dreamer asked about capabilities - certified or not. The handhelds are definitely not certified, but they are quite capable.
The panel mounted units also often have additional installation requirements - like remote CDI and annunciator panel - to meet the TSO.