JVolkober

Well Known Member
I am training for my IFR. My instructor and I need to determine what it means to work partial panel with my system, defining ?working partial panel" as coping with likely flight instrument failure. What failure modes should I be planning for?

My RV-9A is set up with dual SV screens and ADHRS, a back-up alternator and back-up batteries on each screen. I have a single Dynon cable from the two ADHRS in the rear fuselage to a patch panel (not Dynon?s) behind the baggage bulkhead that connects the Dynon D9 connectors for the ADHRS cable to the auto pilot servo cables and the cable to the panel. The system is set up with the map software. I also have a GNS-430W with the ARINC-429 interface.

I have identified the following failure possibilities:

Primary SV screen fails - use back-up screen
Both screens fail - very bad but sufficiently unlikely to be a concern?
Primary ADHRS - use back-up ADHRS
Both ADHRS - use SV or Garmin GPS data for speed, pitch and roll
Total electrical failure - unlikely with multiple back-ups
Pitot/Static system failure I have heated pitot tube but no alternate static - use SV or Garmin GPS data

So what other failure modes should be considered? Can an individual indicator/sensor - airspeed for example - fail while others operate? How should these be simulated?

Would appreciate your input.

John

There are a number of other threads on this.
1. With your instructor you should try to simulate and deal with all possible failures.
2. Instrument PTS has some discussion on what partial panel means on an EFIS airplane.
3. For the flight test you need to discuss this with the DE. Most likely he will "fail" either the primary screen, or the primary electrical buss. But every DE is different.

Since you have a Dynon EFIS, I would suggest you and your cfi find a way to simulate partial pitot line blockage, and watch what happens. Do this VFR.