N916K

Well Known Member
Has anyone had an IFR cert done that has a Dynon pitot tube on their plane? I ask because the Dynon pitot tubes use a porous potting compound. It doesn't effect the airspeeds but it won't hold pressure very well. I believe there is a pressure test involved with checking the pitot-static system. I don't want to pay this guy to come out twice because I have to make changes to the plane to pass an IFR cert. I asked Dynon about this. They didn't really have any experience with getting IFR certs done, but they know that the drain wells are porous.

Cam

What is the problem?

The static pressure test should not be effected by the Dynon pitot, right?

As far as the pitot, you are right just plugging into the pitot inlet, you can't hold pressure due to the internal design of the tube. There is a work around. Tap into the pitot line just past the pitot tube. Yes, that would be a pain, but if you need to do it, you have a way to check the pitot system. George

Correct, the static test would not be a problem.

I have thought about just disconnecting the pitot line in the wing and having the guy check it there, but I'm not sure if that's ok or not. Plus I got the airspeed working really well at low speeds, I'd hate to break into the lines and introduce a problem.

The technician should not have a problem tapping into the line after the pitot tube. As a matter of fact, I have the tip-up canopy and we just tested from the back of the ASI.
Mel...DAR