RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
RVators,

I just want to check what you guys are planning for IFR glass pannel in the next 12 months and why?

I'm building a RV10 now as an IFR platform and will need to purchase instruments in the next 12 Months. (I currently own a RV7 with a Duel Screen Dynon setup, and I am very happy with my Dynons. I don't have any experience with the other brands, and unfurtenatly in South Africa readily access to those setups are rare)

I need:
1) IFR Platform
2) Terrain Awareness
3) Traffic
4) Stormscope (no WX wheater in South Africa)
5) 2 axis Autopilot
6) 3 screens (Efis, EMS, GPS) these do not have to be the same units
7) As simple and clean as possible pannel.
8) I don't have an unlimited budget, but want something that WORKS & is IFR functional.

The new Dynons? MGL Avionics? Advanced or Garmin$$$?
What are you guys dreaming up and why? Share a little your thoughts...

Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Dream Panel

Rudi:
The current configuration of my 9A is what I would refer to as IFR "Lite", i.e., single VOR receiver (Val INS422), SL40 Comm, and a garmin 396. While I am not at all uncomfortable with this setup in IMC, I would consider the following a very solid setup:
Garmin 430W
SL40 Comm
Val 429 (much improved over the 422)
TruTrak EFIS
Garmin 396/496
The combination of the 430 and the Val would give me IFR GPS approach capability as well as two independent VOR receivers and displays (the garmin thru the EFIS). At the same time, the 430 and the SL40 also provide dual comm capabilities. An SL30 would serve the same purpose, but then there may be some possibility of also losing some nav capability if that unit fails. The Val doesn't take up any stack height, which is an advantage if you're trying to save panel space. Terrain and weather come from the 396/496. They also provide great situational awareness in a unit independent of the EFIS, as well as yet another backup (I know, not legal) for non-precision approach capability. As you're already looking at a Strikefinder, I would tell you I have many hours flying behind one in a CT210. Two previous 210s had Bendix radar, and I found the Strikefinder to be a much more useful instrument for me. As for the EFIS, you certainly have a lot of choices. My personal preference is for the TruTrak, which from my own point of view I consider very simple and elegant. Finally, I would also have a conventional altimeter on board as well as a TruTrak ADI with backup battery. These latter two instruments would give you solid backup in the event of EFIS failure. Finally, I also currently have a panel mounted antenna jack for a handheld radio, along with a headset jack for this same unit. This covers comm as well as limited nav in the event of alternator failure and subsequent battery drain. These are my thoughts for my own panel, as I am both space and budget limited. Good luck with your new project.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

MGL for sure....

...because of your location and easy access to Rainier. Dual screens on separate busses would be ideal.

Besides, MGL has HITS and terrain for your location and installed approaches to airports that don't officially have instrument approaches.

Regards,

Yep, if you are within flying distance of MGL I would strongly consider them - for price and convenience and support of your local airspace.

Advanced

My choice would be Advanced because I believe they have made the best design choices for an IFR system, especially now they have an autopilot available. Coupled to a GNS-430 & SL-30.

Before selecting Dynon or MGL for IFR use please look closely into how their systems are designed and make sure you are content with the design choices they have made and the implications those choices make on the way you operate.

If you have an unlimited budget by all means choose Garmin.

Pete

I will have:

- SkyView 7'' as EFIS, HSI and engine monitor;
- "classic" 6 made of: ASI, ADI (with battery back-up), ALT, VSI (2 spare holes, one of them filled with ADF indicator and one expansion for a second VOR) (all TSO'd except ADI);
- King ADF;
- King DME;
- GMA347 audio panel with marker beacons;
- GNS 430W (top mount antenna);
- SL40 (belly mount antenna);
- GTX328;
- heated pitot;
- two axis Dynon autopilot;
- one battery/one alternator, with e-bus fed from battery via separate relay.

I hope that's enough for a single engine piston airplane and for a low time pilot like me.

Before selecting Dynon or MGL for IFR use please look closely into how their systems are designed and make sure you are content with the design choices they have made and the implications those choices make on the way you operate.

I assume you are referring to the fact that we used to use airspeed exclusively for our AHRS. We now support GPS as a backup to the pitot source, which is exactly the way the G900 works. It requires GPS OR pitot to operate.

A Vote for MGL

Rudy,

Since you live in the country where they are manufactured, I would look at the products from MGL. Rainier frequents vansairforce.net and the MGL Yahoo group and for you, support is only a phone call away. I personally think that MGL products are the best 'bang for the buck' right now. I like that the GPS is built in, not an add on. Hopefully, by the time I am ready for a panel, they will have their 'black box' radios on the market. No panel space required as they are controlled by the EFIS. They are coming out with a new processor for the Voyager/Odyssey which (just from the pictures) improves the speed and resolution of the display. Also, you can 'just add servos' and the EFIS becomes an autopilot. The software is already there.
On the $$$ end of the deal, you won't have any customs/import duties, overseas shipping to pay and if you have to ship it back for service, it doesn't leave the country.

Thank you guys,

Yip MGL is on the list, but I don't know if MGL are comfortable suggesting it as an IFR platform, or enough of the guys here suggesting it have actually used it as an IFR platform. I don't want to be the guinea pig it could be costly exercise.

Remember my points
1) IFR Platform
8) I want something that WORKS & is IFR functional

Keep the information comming.

Kind Regards
Rudi

We are putting in a MGL and also have a 430w. The 430 now works great with the MGL. My dad has tested it a several times by doing IFR approaches in his Cherokee and having the Odyssey in the backseat.

Chris.

We are putting in a MGL and also have a 430w. The 430 now works great with the MGL. My dad has tested it a several times by doing IFR approaches in his Cherokee and having the Odyssey in the backseat.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the confirmation that it works.
But having it in the back seat doing a couple of approaches is hardly calling it a true lasting test that has stood the test of time. I would need a bit more confirmation before departing with my money. :D

Anybody else got more experience, would love to hear it.

Regards
Rudi

Rudi,

You might want to start making a list of features and specify a target budget.

For example, you say you want terrain and Wx. Well, these MIGHT be provided by a Garmin 496 (if XM provides the data in your area). You say you want traffic - again, this MIGHT be provided on a Garmin 430W with a mode S xponder (again, if that works in your area).

So, there are a lot of variables. What do YOU mean by "IFR?" Does that mean an SL 30 + HSI and the ability to shoot an ILS, or does it mean Garmin 530W coupled to a 2-axis autopilot which flys the entire approach? Does your solution require an in-dash EFB with full charts and plates, or will you carry paper?

Without putting some target boundaries on your problem, any solution will be equally feasible and equally implausible at the same time.

By the way, I believe that both Dynon and MGL are suitable for IFR. I only suggested you chat with MGL due to the likelihood that service and turnaround times will likely be good there; it was not a recommendation of their features over anyone else's. Nor do I know what import costs you might have to add for systems not produced locally.

However I do know one thing - the new Dynons look SCHWEET!

IFR panel

I fly IFR regularily in my Cherokee and am working fuselage on 7A. I'm studying same question now and if I had to buy today I'd install:

EFIS - Dynon 100 with their autopilot (Not Skyview)
Gamin 430 for nav/com/gs (IFR certified)
Garmin SL-30 Nav/Com #2
Garmin GMA 240 audio panel for experimentals (new for exp.)
Garmin GTX 320 or 327 transponder
Sporty's Attitude Gyro with Battery Backup (no EFIS backup)
Clock
Compass
Garmin GI 102A CDI (Omni)
Oh and Dynon D10 EMS engine analyzer
Backup airspeed indicator (2 1/4" diam)
Backup Altimeter (2 1/2" diam)

Cost about $27,000

I see no need for handheld GPS nor GPS integrated with EFIS. They aren't IFR certified. Also I think Synthetic Vision might hinder use of EFIS. No EFIS as backup. Just a good battery back up gyro for attitude indicator. Also I haven't seen that any of the weather receivers are as good as just calling up Flight Watch on 122.0. And I don't play chicken with lightening but if I did a Storm Scope would be high on list.

We installed:
Dynon D-100, D-120, AP74, HS34
Garmin 696
Garmin 300XL
Garmin 327
Airspeed
Compass
PS 1000 II