blueflyer

Well Known Member
I have been searching the site and there are so many posts and opinions that I am now more confused about what I need in my panel to be IFR legal.

Here are my 2 questions. Can I legally
1) fly IFR GPS enroute and
2) fly these approaches
a) VOR
b) VOR-DME
c) LOC
d) ILS and
e) any RNAV (GPS) approach (LNAV, LNAV/VNAV, LPV)

with the following equipment in my panel (Pitot/Static, xponder and ELT checks are all good and within calendar times):
1) TSO'ed transponder and TSO'ed altitude encoder
2) TSO'ed comm radios
3) Non-TSO'ed receiver/CDI unit with glideslope indicator (Val INS 429)
4) GNS 400W (obviously TSO'ed)
** I personally installed all of these items myself**

Tab VAL 429 allows you to shoot ILS and LOC procedures. The GNS400 is TSO 146c certified which allows you to shoot all the GPS RNAV procedures up to and including LPV as well as being used for sole source navigation. The 400W can be used as a substitute for a DME on approaches where a DME is reg. (making sure the correct fix is used).
An external CDI must be used with the 400W which the VAL 429 can do.
Sounds like you are set to me. You even have a MB rec. with the VAL unit.

Stan Blanton

Thanks Stan. I was unsure if I could use the DME off the TSOed GPS while doing a VOR-DME approach. I thought I might have to have a standalone DME in the plane. I was also unsure if I would be legal in using a Non-TSOed CDI in conjunction with the GNS400. I was also confused about the installation. I was unsure if I could personally install (as opposed to having a shop do it) the GNS 400 and still be in accordance with AC 20-130A. Thanks again.

Last edited: