prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm thinking ahead about how much an IFR platform will cost me. A simple configuration would be:

1) Dynon D100 + Dynon D180 ($2400+$3200)

2) SL-30 (~$3100)

3) An IFR GPS unit... e.g. GNC-300XL ($6000!).

First question - are there more economical choices for an IFR GPS unit for homebuilt aircraft? That $6000 is a killer!

The SL-30 has a 2-place intercom, but I presume it does not have a stereo music input. Can the SL-30 comm radio be connected to a 3rd party intercom with music inputs?

Other suggestions?

prkaye said:
I'm thinking ahead about how much an IFR platform will cost me. A simple configuration would be:

1) Dynon D100 + Dynon D180 ($2400+$3200)

2) SL-30 (~$3100)

3) An IFR GPS unit... e.g. GNC-300XL ($6000!).

First question - are there more economical choices for an IFR GPS unit for homebuilt aircraft? That $6000 is a killer!

The SL-30 has a 2-place intercom, but I presume it does not have a stereo music input. Can the SL-30 comm radio be connected to a 3rd party intercom with music inputs?

Other suggestions?
Try Stark Avionics, I have no personal experience with him but my dad got most of his avionics from John and was pretty satisfied. Prices seem to be pretty descent too. www.starkavionics.com

Phil,
When you decide what route to go, post an update here...I'm only at the empenage stage but I'm planning on an IFR panel with the same Dynon setup as you (D100 & D180).

I guess the $6000 was a way out of date price... according to vans site Garmin doesn't even make this unit anymore. Is the wiring harness required for installation? Is it something that can be purchased separately?

Last edited:
Why

Phil
Why a D100 & D180? Why not a D100 & D120.

I'm thinking about a similar setup with a D100 & D120.

another way to go

Drop the SL30 (it is a good radio) and use the GNS 430 instead.

It has comm/nav/gps all in one. You should be able to find one for around $6000.00.

Kent

GNS430

Go with the GNS 430 from Stark. Price about $5800. I went with an SL40 for back up comm. $1300 or so. Garmin 106A CDI, and 330S transponder. Also used the 340 audio panel.

Definitely look at Stark Avionics or Steinair for great deals.

Redundancy

G Swartley said:
Phil
Why a D100 & D180? Why not a D100 & D120.

I'm thinking about a similar setup with a D100 & D120.

Gregg.... this combination (D100/D180) gives a redundant EFIS if the D100 goes TU....

gil in Tucson

Consider the GX60 instead of the 300XL. I personally think it's a better radio, it monitors comm frequencies, and it's interface is LIGHTYEARS ahead of the 300XL's. Of course it's not made anymore, but they go for about $2500 or less.

The GX60 is a great unit, and I would get one if they were being manufactured. The GNC300XL comes with a warrantee, therefore for virtually the same money a used GX60 is too risky for me. Additionally, a few people on this site have said that there GX60 has stopped working.

redundancy

Drop the SL30 (it is a good radio) and use the GNS 430 instead.

It has comm/nav/gps all in one.

The fact that it's all in one is actually a negative, from a certain perspective. In Canada, IFR requirements say that you have to have enough equipment to do an approach (& missed approach) to an alternate airport in the event of a failure of any one component (same rules in the US?). So if your IFR GPS and NAV radios are in the same unit, and that unit fails, you have no backup navigation. My idea to achieve the redundant navigation was to have IFR GPS in one unit (one one electrical system) and have something like the SL30 on a second electrical system. Is there a better way to achieve the redundancy? Are these Garmin toys available with backup batteries (to save installing 2 alternators)?

There is no such redundancy rule in the U.S. that I'm aware of.

The SL30 has two navs and two coms (Effectively), whereas the 430 only has one. I'd go with a 480 over the 430, since it has those nice monitoring features.

prkaye said:
The fact that it's all in one is actually a negative, from a certain perspective. In Canada, IFR requirements say that you have to have enough equipment to do an approach (& missed approach) to an alternate airport in the event of a failure of any one component (same rules in the US?). So if your IFR GPS and NAV radios are in the same unit, and that unit fails, you have no backup navigation.
Phil,

You sure you are interpreting this right? In the US, the "alternate" refers to the facility being used, NOT the equipment. As for the 430 vs 480, I think either radio is fine but the "writing is on the wall" for one of them. I won't say which to avoid a flame war by the more passionate.

Yeah, the 480 gets a lot of ****. It's too bad, 'cause it's really the technically superior product.

w1curtis said:
Phil,

You sure you are interpreting this right? In the US, the "alternate" refers to the facility being used, NOT the equipment.
Phil has it right. In Canada, for IFR flight in IMC, CAR 605.18(j) clearly requires redundancy in navaids and displays so that you can continue IFR and fly an approach after single failures of any piece of the navigation equipment, including displays.

Note that CAR 605.01(2)(d) says that this equipment requirement also applies to foreign registered aircraft that are operated in Canada.

I believe the vast majority of US-registered type-certificated light aircraft that are equipped for IFR would comply with this requirement. Most would have either two Navs with two CDIs, or a Nav and an ADF.

One more thing to consider...

Phil,

If you are going to continue with the Dynon stuff, keep in mind that the SL30 will supply the correct information the Dynon uses for the HSI features AND glideslope. The 430 (and others) supply only ARINC info that the Dynon can't decipher for use in some of its features.
http://www.dynondevelopment.com/docs/support_software_200610.html

UPDATE: Dynon now has expansion modules (HS34) that now uses the ARINC from the 430 & others.

I'll have a similar setup as you; D100, D120, SL30, GNC300XL

Sam

Last edited:
Not quite true...

prkaye said:
The fact that it's all in one is actually a negative, from a certain perspective. In Canada, IFR requirements say that you have to have enough equipment to do an approach (& missed approach) to an alternate airport in the event of a failure of any one component (same rules in the US?). So if your IFR GPS and NAV radios are in the same unit, and that unit fails, you have no backup navigation. My idea to achieve the redundant navigation was to have IFR GPS in one unit (one one electrical system) and have something like the SL30 on a second electrical system. Is there a better way to achieve the redundancy? Are these Garmin toys available with backup batteries (to save installing 2 alternators)?

The nav/comm and GPS in the 430 are independent of each other. Separate power and independent circuirtry. The only part shared is the screen and control panel. Not quit as good as separate units, but for the price an amazing package.

The SL30 is a great radio with its dual comm and dual nav (using the monitor function).

I have both the 430 and SL30 in my plane. I am now buying the 496 so that I can have weather. I also have the BMA EFIS Sport and BMA EFIS Lite each with there own GPS. This will make 4 GPS units. Man is this panel getting out of hand or what.

Kent

Last edited:
kentb said:
The nav/comm and GPS in the 430 are independ of each other. Seperate power and independent circuritry. The only part shared is the screen and control panel. Not quit as good as seperate units, but for the price an amazing package.
Yes, the GNS 430 is a great piece of avionics, but it won't meet the Canadian requirements all by itself, as a screen failure renders all navaids unusable.

Maybe a GNC 420 (like a GNS 430, but without a NAV functions) and SL 30 would be a good mix. I wonder how much cheaper a GNC 420 is than a GNS 430.