garrys

I've been taking IFR lessons for a couple of months now in my RV7A. My instructor is an "old school" type and says that NO FAA examiner will administer an IFR checkride in my RV. According to his contact at the FAA there has never been an IFR checkride given in an RV in the state of Florida. I find this hard to believe!!!!!!!!

My instructor also tells me that before he will fly in actual IMC with me, and before he will sign me off for a checkride, that my plane must be "certified for IFR flight" by the FAA, but he doesn't really know what that means or how to go about getting this "certification". It's more than the Pitot/Static and transponder check done by avionics shops.

His suggestion is that I finish my training by renting a "real" airplane, and taking the checkride in it.......something like a Cessna 172 or a Cherokee 180. I like him as an instructor and he's doing a good job of training, so I'm reluctant to change instructors.

Can anyone out there help me? Has anyone taken their IFR checkride in their RV?

Garry Stout
Tampa, FL
[email protected]
813-920-4610

I've been taking IFR lessons for a couple of months now in my RV7A. My instructor is an "old school" type and says that NO FAA examiner will administer an IFR checkride in my RV. According to his contact at the FAA there has never been an IFR checkride given in an RV in the state of Florida. I find this hard to believe!!!!!!!!

My instructor also tells me that before he will fly in actual IMC with me, and before he will sign me off for a checkride, that my plane must be "certified for IFR flight" by the FAA, but he doesn't really know what that means or how to go about getting this "certification". It's more than the Pitot/Static and transponder check done by avionics shops.

His suggestion is that I finish my training by renting a "real" airplane, and taking the checkride in it.......something like a Cessna 172 or a Cherokee 180. I like him as an instructor and he's doing a good job of training, so I'm reluctant to change instructors.

Can anyone out there help me? Has anyone taken their IFR checkride in their RV?

Garry Stout
Tampa, FL
[email protected]
813-920-4610

Did all my training in my RV9a with Professional Instrument Courses, Inc. Yea, the 10 day rating. No problems with them or the DE who gave me my checkride in the same plane. As far as the certification goes, if your operating limitations are properly written, and your static/xpndr check is current, you are golden.
Find the right DE and perhaps the right CFI-I and you will be fine. Plus, they might actually learn something. If worse comes to worse, come on up to Kansas, and I'll teach ya and send you to Ron for the checkride!

To be honest Garry, I'd consider if you have the right instructor or not. I don't want to insult anyone, but you have to question an instructor who holds opinions as facts and won't go to the book to look them up. What else is he teaching that isn't right?

Yes, you can learn IFR in an Experimental; yes, you can find a DE who will give the check ride.

Paul

Garry Stout
Tampa, FL
[email protected]
813-920-4610

Does your OPERATING LIMITATIONS say:

"After completion of phase I flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with ? 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only."

Sounds like you have the Pitot/Static and Transponder certification completed. You also need to have a record of doing a VOR check once a month. The SL30 allows you to record the date of the last test in the radio.

I advise applicants for airworthiness certification when I issue the Operating Limitations that have the above limitation, to take a Safety Pilot with them in SIMULATED IFR conditions AFTER they complete their Phase I test flying then to make a logbook entry "This aircraft has been flown in simulated IFR conditions and determined to be a stable IFR platform." Sign, certificate type, number, date.

There is more info on this subject on the EAA Web site.

IFR Check Ride in an RV-9A

Garry,

I also got my IFR rating with PIC in my RV. My instructor called around and found a DE that would give the check ride in an experimental. Frankly it was harder for him to find someone to do it on Sunday than in an RV.

One DE asked for the IFR certification so we called the FSDO and were told that it only needed to be equipped per 91.205 as stated in the operating limitations, current pitot static, VOR check and we needed to have the operators manual for the IFR GPS and make a log book entry similar to the one described by RV6 Flyer.

I would like to mention that the VOR check needs to be recorded on paper according to my CFI.

Good luck on your check ride.

What nonsense

My CFII was building (now flying) his own 7a when I asked if he would be prepared to teach me in my 7a....Are you kidding, he was almost sat in my airplane right there and then!

Same with the DE."Hey, I heard these are terrible instrument platforms but real hotrods"..he could barely wait to get in it either..."What about the oral" I asked as he's drooling over my airplane..:)

The DE's reaction on the first takeoff was "Holy cow!"...:)

But seriously, you equip it for IFR flight, and once YOU are satisfied its suitably equipped...then its suitably equipped...

Its the airplane you will fly IFR so it makes perfect sense to learn in it.

Have fun...Its hard work but you'll fly to a level you never thought possible..

Cheers

Frank

IFR

Me Also!!
I recently (May '08) received my IFR in my 7A. I had my plane IFR cert (pitot and static system, Altimeter, transponder) and recieved ALL my instruction AND my FAA checkride.
I went to GATTS in Manhattan, KS (Great place, They include and furnish an apartment, car, 7 to 10 day and your done!)
Kenny Gene
AWC 9-7-07 (228 hrs)

Even IACRA knows about us

When I first tried to schedule a checkride in my RV-6, the proposed DE required that I apply through the FAA's IACRA system. However, that was impossible at the time since you have to select the aircraft type and it didn't include experimentals or RVs. We talked with the IACRA folks and they said they would add it, but it would take time. I found a DE who would use the paper system. Then, the panel went down and time passed before the final checkride.

When I tried to apply again through IACRA a couple of weeks ago, they have added two categories for experimentals. I checked something like "Home built/Kit built". So, there is tangible evidence that the FAA is cool with checkrides in experimentals and/or RVs.

I was fortunate to have a CFI-I who would carefully check every detail that he wasn't sure about before declaring a "fact". I agree with everything said above about finding the right CFI-I and DE for training. If an RV is the plane you would be flying in IMC, then I think it makes great sense to train and test in that plane. I don't doubt that it is a little tougher to hit the required precision, but it's worth it.

Good luck!

Wrong instructor

My instructor also tells me that before he will fly in actual IMC with me, and before he will sign me off for a checkride, that my plane must be "certified for IFR flight" by the FAA,.......

Garry Stout
Tampa, FL
[email protected]
813-920-4610

Gary,

Flying actual IMC before being signed off for the check ride is not a bad idea, but its not a requirement at all. Though that's really a side issue.

Because of their typical relationship with local flight schools, many instructors have a strangle hold on who flies what. To a large degree, they work for the FBO and because you need to rent that airplane, they call the shots.

When you own your own airplane the relationship is different and is very clear: Your instructor works for you. There is no shortage of CFII's, and many of them would be happy to fly in your airplane. If your instructor won't get with the program, get a new instructor.

Also, shop for a DE that will do it in your airplane. Once you're signed off for the check ride, you can go to any DE in the country. According to several respondents on this thread, RV friendly DE's are available.

Some instructors think that going to the DE they know will somehow benefit you. I say if you can fly the airplane, you can fly it for any DE.

Related: Because of some weather and travel circumstances, I ended up taking my private check ride hundreds of miles from where I got instruction and with a DE who had no idea who my instructor was. I passed with no problem at all.