LuisR

Well Known Member
Is it necessary to have the gps certified for IFR? I think yes but wanted more input. Dan has a garmin I believe that is ifr certified but is no longer in production. Does anyone know of a comparible replacement? I like the nice big color screen from garmin.

Thanks
manny

PS Sun n Fun Was GREAT!!! Needed more than one day though. There always Oshkosh.

GPS must meed TSO specs

Manny said:
Is it necessary to have the GPS certified for IFR?
If you want to fly IFR based on GPS Nav you must meet the TSO, Technical Standard Order. It does not have to be TSO'ed, but it must meet the TSO. If your GPS were not TSO'ed for IFR you would have to prove it meets the spec. In other words you would need to do all the test, verification and documentation you can meet it. Thus you buy an IFR (TSO) GPS.

Also reading the interpretation of the Regs that apply to an experimental, some contend you must have also a VOR on board. Yes, even though certified planes can fly with GPS Nav only, no VOR, this does not apply to experimental aircraft. You?ll have to comply with FAR 91.205(d), which is the list of things your aircraft must have to be certified for IFR. It clearly states you must have "navigational equipment appropriate for the ground facilities to be used". It says nothing of GPS. When your DAR signs your plane off for IFR he will note in your limitations you must meet 91.205(d). So, plan on at least a VOR. You can still add a GPS, but you will still need the VOR if you limitation states you must meet FAR 91.205(d).

If I am wrong please let me know. Cheers George

Thanks for the input gmcjetpilot.

Now, anyone know of a nice garmin that is IFR "TSO'd" or comprable GPS?

Thanks!!!