thesammyfan

I'm New Here
I was just wondering how hard it is to get my airplane certified for flight into IMC. I plan on putting in a Garmin avionics stack and an AFS-3500. Can I use the HSI in the 3500 for my heading/glideslope info? Any problems getting the altitude portion of the 3500 certified?

Thanks,

Mark Merrell
RV-8
finishing the empennage

Step one is to check your Operating Limitation, if they say VFR only you need to visit the FSDO.

Second, note your VOR for error using a known check point and your all set.

Third, make an appointment to have your pitot static and altimeter checked along with the encoder.

You do not need to meet the FAA for anything.

Tad Sargent

Mark,
As long as you have all the required equipment for IFR and your operation limitation does not say VFR only, then you should be good to go. Some of other equipement (in addition) that is required for IFR is a heated pitot tube and a clock. Your AFS-3500 should have no issues passing the altimeter test and acutally a good EIFS for IFR. I love my EHSI that is part of GRT EIFS.

Mark,
Some of other equipement (in addition) that is required for IFR is a heated pitot tube and a clock.

A heated pitot tube is not on any list that I know of. In addition to equipment required for VFR flight, the following equipment is required.
"DECARAT"

Directional gyro
Electric source
Clock
Attitude indicator
Radios
Adjustable altimeter
Turn and slip coordinator

Webb is correct. And, since you haven't got operating limitations yet, you won't have a problem getting IFR added. Just let your DAR know and he will advise you; you have to put your intention in your Program Letter and he will then add it to your limitations - subject to you having the required equipment.

My -6A is IFR but I can't fly GPS approaches (aside from the fact that I'm not IFR rated) because the GPS isn't WAAS but it can still be operated in an IFR environment using VOR approaches and enroute (again, given an IFR rated pilot). I bring that up because there are really two issues buried in your questions - making sure the aircraft has IFR as part of the operating limitations, and making sure your equipment is legal for the type of IFR flying you intend to do.

Patrick,
As far as I know a WAAS GPS is not required to do GPS approach, only a certified GPS is required. A 430 (none WAAS) can be used for GPS approach, like a LNAV but not a LPV.

TSO-C129 A(1) certified equipment are authorized GPS approaches without WAAS - 300XL is an example.

Regarding your Ops Limits

The local DAR here in SE Michigan issues limits with a statement to the effect,"VFR daytime only, unless otherwise equipped". This allows builders the opportunity to add equipment and expand the use of their aircraft. No additional testing or certification is required, with the exception of the aforementioned pitot/static and any necessary amendments to W&B.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

TSO-C129 A(1) certified equipment are authorized GPS approaches without WAAS - 300XL is an example.

Sorry, should have said my GPS (Blue Mountain) is not certified. So, there you have it. Now maybe someone can tell you about your particular equipment.

The local DAR here in SE Michigan issues limits with a statement to the effect,"VFR daytime only, unless otherwise equipped".

That statement is non-standard, as it is not shown in the FAA Order 8130.2. The operating limitations issued should be consistent with what is shown in the order. It should read as follows:

"Unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with ? 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only."

Inspectors (FAA or DAR) are allowed to make the operating limitations more restrictive than as shown in the order if the situation requires such, but cannot make the limitations less restrictive. The statement you show could be considered to be "less restrictive" because it does not set the parameters of what "otherwise equipped" means. A knowledgeable and nit-picky FAA inspector could make an issue out of that on a ramp check. (Of course, finding an FAA inspector who is knowledgeable on the subject is iffy. Finding a nit-picky inspector should be no problem!)

Anyway, all operating limitations should be issued with the statement I have quoted above regardless of how the aircraft is equipped at the time of the initial inspection. So long as that statement appears in the operating limitations the owner/operator has the option of equipping the aircraft for IFR operation at any time without the need to revisit the FAA.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hey Mark, welcome to VAF:D

I had similar questions, ended up talking to Stein----he can direct you as to the requirements.

Good to have you here.