agirard7a

Well Known Member
Hello all. I am building a 9a. I a have a King
Nav/Comm radio , glide slope and marker
beacon that came out of an IFR panel.

I am trying to deciede if I should sell it or keep it.

If I put it in my panel, will I be able to use the plane
to become IFR certified? I don't have the budget for an expensive
garmin IFR set up.

Thanks. Al

Yes

I am one of a few on here that got trained and took the check ride in an RV..A 7a in my case.

I would strongly advise that you at least get a wing leveller Autopilot plus you will need an artificial horizon..I dislike vacuum pumps so I'd go for a Dynon if you can swing it.

Frank

Sell the KX and the Indicator for good money on Ebay, then go buy an SL-30 for probabluy close to the same price you'll have sold the KX & indicator for (the certified guys often times will drive the prices pretty high). Worst case scenario is I'll take it on trade and do it for you!

You're going to need an attitude indicator engine instruments of some sort anyway, so purchase one of the nice low cost EFISes out there (cheaper than gyros anyway) and it'll talk to the SL-30 providing CDI information from the radio integrated into your EFIS. The EFIS can also talk to a handheld GPS for a real world navigational solution along with superior engine monitoring capabilities.

You don't have to go whole hog on the big stuff, but if you do this right you the $$'s should be a wash and you can end up with a really nicely integrated solution that'll be both modern, IFR capable and new!

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein