AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi Folk,

Finally I am out of phase one, so my new goal is to try to get an IFR Certification here in Chile, but this is not going to be easy.
First Chilean FAA (DGAC) doesn't want experimental planes flying IFR, I am trying to explain that flying under IFR rules(I am not saying IMC) is more safe than VFR, you are separate from other traffic for example. Also I will comply with single engine regulations here in Chile that only allow you to cross layer and not to fly IMC on route or fly at night.
Second to get an IFR certification here in Chile you need at least, a VOR, ADF, DME and two VHF. I want to have a modern panel and want to have a Garmin 430w and SL30, that is two VHF, two VOR/ILS and one IFR aprove GPS, but they said how I am going to fly ADF aproaches and how I am going to messure distance. They said they know the GPS technology is advance a lot and they have tested, but they are not sure is very realible.
DGAC always try to follow FAA regulation but they are very slow making new changes, so if you could help me to where FAA said that you could use GPS instead DME or ADF would be great.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Fernando...

...Take a look at www.airnav.com and type in KAGS. That is the identifier for Augusta, Ga, near me and scroll down when the page opens to all the different approaches, including RNAV Runway 35. At the bottom of the approach page, find LPV minimums. Those are the lowest that the GPS can take you, close to ILS minimums. LPV is Lateral and Precision Vertical guidance. My 430W shows a glideslope pointer on the Dynon HSI page where there are LPV approaches at an airport and is as accurate as the old ILS glideslope.

More and more of our airports are getting GPS approaches because it costs the city nothing....no transmitters, no maintenance, and so on. Even small, 3500' runway airports now have RNAV GPS approaches. We're phasing out ILS's and ADF's, VOR's soon to follow.

Find other airports in Airnav's website and you'll see just how many there are.

KBNL..Barnwell, S.C.
KDNL...Daniel Field, Augusta, Ga
KBXG..Waynesboro, Ga.
KOKZ..Sandersville, Ga

Besides, your airplane with all the modern stuff you have in it, is far, far better equipped than most of the Cessnas and Pipers on your airports, with old vacuum pumps and systems. Show them this letter and if you need to talk to me, I can give you my phone numbers.

Best,

Last edited:
my understanding is that WAAS relies on groundstations as well, are they available in your area? that would determine if their accuracy for vertical guidance is sufficient or available at all

AIM

Hi Folk,

DGAC always try to follow FAA regulation but they are very slow making new changes, so if you could help me to where FAA said that you could use GPS instead DME or ADF would be great.

Cheers,

Check out this link to the Aeronautical Information Manual:
http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/AIM/Chap1/aim0102.html

Chapter 1, Section 1-2-3 discusses a newer version of "GPS in lieu of..." other navaids. Chapter 1 is a great review of GPS, RNAV and all the navaids.

my understanding is that WAAS relies on groundstations as well, are they available in your area? that would determine if their accuracy for vertical guidance is sufficient or available at all

We don't have waas available here in Chile, I just want to use GPS instead DME so I could make VOR-DME and ILS-DME aproaches, I could leave without ADF aproaches :D

I am building my RV9A for IFR, too (VMC limited, not possible IMC with experimentals).
Here in Italy we don't have WAAS. So, my engineer said I would need a DME.
I also installed an ADF (bought from a forum member, here).
We may use 430 GPS as a substitute for a second VOR in flight, but not for the terminal approaches. All of ours procedures or at least a good part of them require an ADF (mainly before or at the IAF) and the DME is necessary also untill the runway.
It is maybe true that the 430 substitutes the DME, but I did not want to finish the airplane and then need to upgrade to a DME with the upper skin riveted, should the engineer "remember" that I need one.
A used King non TSO'd DME costs approx. 1.000 dollars (maybe less, can't remember, now) and a complete used King KR87 ADF system may cost up to 1.800 and more dollars. It is also difficult to find a triaxial coaxial. Bennett's avionics sells it, but when I asked the price I did not receive answer. Menawhile an italian installer gave me a common triaxial (ie.: not specifically aeronautics) and cabled it for me (two grounds on different pins and the center conductor to the third pin), so I did not asked again to Bennett. He also cabled the second cable (signal cable?). All pins go to a D-Sub 9 pin (2 or 3 spare) (needed to buy the installation manual on ebay). I installed the antenna under the baggage compartment, and then made a hole on the lower skin (very sad for this, but necessary) and then riveted the doubler (supplied from the vendor).
I have all the 4 spar holes completely full of wires and I passed the VOR and one COMM up across the deck and second COMM fore of the spar.
At the end, it is not a difficult install.
Maybe the worst thing is that it adds some 2 kg. (4 lbs.) or more to the airplane. And provided that I have a Dynon SkyView in front of me and a classic 6 just on the right and the audio panel, 430, SL40 and GTX328 next, I had to put the ADF and DME receivers all on the right, which is reachable from the pilot (quite long arms..) but not ideal.
Make your plans in advance... I had a lot of head scratching to find the correct antenna to antennas minimum distance. I ended installing the DME antenna under the tail cone (and the had to use RG142 instead of RG400, as per manual), the ADF under the baggage, as said before, the COMM1 above the tail cone (1'' aft of the opened canopy), ELT antenna between the VS and the COMM1 antenna, COMM2 antenna under the gear weldment, 2 GPS antennas above the panel skin, the XNDR antenna under the pilot pedals. Apart from COMM1 and ELT antennas, which are less than optimal distance (maybe some issue when/if transmitting on 121.5), the others are all per manuals. Maybe XNDR antenna is slightly shadowed by the exhaust pipes, but a friend of mine has it in the same location and did not have range issues.
Ciao.

Ask the DGAC this... if ADF is so reliable and accurate, why has it been decommisioned the majority of first world countries? Never gotten any shore line affect from my GPS on an approach that's for sure.