Tram

Well Known Member
Is there a requirement for backup instruments?

We are installing a D180 and are looking at some simple backups for air speed/alt in the form of either an ASX-1 or UMA airspeed/alt steam gauges..

We'd like to keep the IFR cert on the aircraft in order to file IFR to and from but do not fly the aircraft as though it is IFR capable - IE approaches down to mins, etc. ;)

I know the basic equipment required for IFR, but am not too up on the regs for obtaining an IFR certification.

No, not that I know of - not a "legal" requirement.

When you look at what is "required" for IFR in any airplane, it can be a little frightening (if you stick with the minimum requirements). Of course, many of us used to fly with those minimums decades ago, because that was all we had....

No, not that I know of - not a "legal" requirement.

When you look at what is "required" for IFR in any airplane, it can be a little frightening (if you stick with the minimum requirements). Of course, many of us used to fly with those minimums decades ago, because that was all we had....

Yeh, it's pretty surreal even to hop into a Champ and go fly around with nothing but what came standard. :)

We fly our bird 99.9% VFR. The only uses we can see for IFR would be the possibility of a descent through a layer, etc. I'd rather file IFR everywhere I go, but if the weather is bad, I'll wait or take a different bird. We don't do hard IFR in the RV.

We are thinking between the EFIS page in the GPS and an ASX-1, we'd have enough instrumentation if we needed to get down to stay alive. If it's VFR and we have a failure, oh well. :)

We are installing a D180 and are looking at some simple backups for air speed/alt in the form of either an ASX-1 or UMA airspeed/alt steam gauges..
We have D100/D120 and installed a 2" AS backup. Not so much for IFR ... but because you can't look out of the airplane and tell how fast it is going through the air and sometimes that really matters. Regardless of IFR/VFR.
Everything else we backed up with the 696 except for a card compass.