Norman

I am struggling to find a set of approach figures - Speed/MAP/RPM, that works well in the procedure, without holding everybody up and able to land from.
Thanks for any help.

Norman
9A 0-320 MT prop.

in my 6 i use 120mph, 1650rpm, 500fpm, no flaps, using fp prop. does that help?

Last edited:
Can't Fly Approaches Too Fast in an RV9

Norman:
Ed's RV6 with a CS prop is an entirely different animal than your 9. In order to fly a stabilized approach, you need to be fairly close to flap speed anywhere near the terminal area. Starting a descent at a speed above Vfe will likely prevent you from deploying until you can level and slow- not what you want on a GS. With a FP prop, I power back to 1750 in the terminal area and make certain to have about 15 degrees of flaps deployed before intercepting the localizer. Use the THROTTLE to stay on the GS- using pitch changes will cause you to to chase the GS all the way down.
Just for kicks, try flying an ILS at 120kts in your 9A. With that speed at the DH, you'll probably need 10,000 feet of runway to land. You don't want to have to pitch up at minimums in order to slow down.
The 9A is probably the most stable instrument platform that I've flown. From the OM inbound, it's your ILS. If ATC asks you to keep your speed up, it doesn't mean you have to fly an unstabilized approach, especially with weather near minimums. Something to keep in mind.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

If you are in IMC it really isn't an option to "keep your speed up". Everyone else will be faster than you no matter what. Really, your best option is to fly the approach at 85KIAS with flaps 10, at the MAP and have the "runway environment" in sight, go power to idle, flaps full and land. Exit the runway as soon as practical. Its ATC's responsibility to sequence the planes. Don't rush your approach. They can give delay vectors to aircraft behind you.

Need to prioritize

Although mine's a 7A, not a 9/9A, the issues are the same. I think you want the fastest speed that will let you land safely and short enough from 200' DH. For me, that's 100 kts (flaps 1/2 at 95). For you it has to be a little slower. You want fastest for a lot of reasons including strong control authority in bumps, safe go-around, etc. You will find that a quicker approach is easier to fly. My view is that you should not use flaps until you decide to land, but others may argue. The reality is that there are not many ILS runways shorter than 5000'. That gives you a lot of room and time to slow down and land. You don't have to touch down at 1000'.

Compare this to a stabilized, VFR approach of 70 to 75 kts IAS. It's a different problem, so a different solution.

If you are in IMC it really isn't an option to "keep your speed up". Everyone else will be faster than you no matter what. Really, your best option is to fly the approach at 85KIAS with flaps 10, at the MAP and have the "runway environment" in sight, go power to idle, flaps full and land. Exit the runway as soon as practical. Its ATC's responsibility to sequence the planes. Don't rush your approach. They can give delay vectors to aircraft behind you.

Find a speed that works for you depending on your experience. Say 90 kts (since the timing is already figured out for you, one less thing to interpolate). 70 kts if that's what you're comfortable with, then use that every time. Shoot every approach at the same speed using the same procedures, build a habit pattern.

Above all, don't let traffic behind you dictate what you do. It's a nice gesture but you should only worry about you in your airplane, because nobody else will. If traffic behind you is substantially faster, ATC can always sequence them ahead of you.

Last edited:
Just read this thread and here is my input. My 9A has an O-320 with FP prop. I do it a little faster. I would fly 120+ kts before reaching the final approach fix. On final approach I usually fly 110+ kts without flap until 3-4 nm from runway. At that point I slow to 100 kts. 2 nm out I pull idle and wait until 90 kts to drop the first 10 degree flap. At 80 kts I drop all. Usually I cross the threshold at below 65 kts. On ILS I would do it a little slower, say 100 kts. I know most people do it slower. Personally I prefer to fly a little faster and have better control feeling.

On normal pattern I do 110 kts until number. Pull idle and keep altitude to drop to 90 kts. At that time I lower the first 10 degree (Vfe is for the entire 30 degree). I fly 90 kts on downwind, 80 kts on base, 70 kts on final. Reduce to 65 kts on short final and 60 kts over the number. I usually can turn off at the 1000' exit (of course I used several hundred feet of runway before touching down).

Do some practices in good weather and try both faster and slower approaches and see what suites you.

Here is a video I shot when landing at Indianapolis International (not on instrument approach, just to show it can slow down). I was following an airline to land. I kept up speed until about 2 miles from the end of the runway when I reduced speed. You can hear the power change.

http://youtu.be/Wa45DB5sllQ?

My instructor always told me that 110 kts was the norm speed for precision approach and this is what I aim for. I like the added speed, as compared to 90 kts, that the controls are not as mushy and also the added speed keeps me on the safer side.

Last weekend on our approach to Monterey which was at the minimum with a plane ahead of us on his third try to get in, the control/tower kept asking for a faster speed due to a jet being behind us. I complied but only to the extend I was comfortable with 120kts but even at that speed, once we saw the rabbit tail, I was able to slow it down to a safe and soft landing.

Like others have said, worry about your approach. Don't worry about making it easier on ATC.

Norman,

In my 7A with fixed pitch O-360, i have determined that to hold altitude with an approach speed of 100kts i use 1800 rpm. When sliding down the glideslope, i throttle back to 1500rpm... this will yield a 500 fpm decent as i maintain 100kts. Small adjustments are made for the prevailing conditions.

Works almost every time.:)

Hope this helps.

Victor