kjlpdx

Well Known Member
today I flew thru ****'s Canyon in OR. just before I got to the snake river my iPad mini version of iFly locked up. the only thing that would work was touching the screen in 2 places and getting the distance. the menu was gone. I couldn't reload it. nothing. the same thing happened a few weeks ago and tech support suggested that I was in airplane mode. well, tis time I checked and that lame excuse didn't hold. this company likes to bring out the bells and whistles without making sure that the existing software is bug free. I ahd troubles with their dedicated iFly720 and was able to return it for a refund. I now feel like a fool thinking that perhaps it was a hardware error and their software would run OK on the iPad mini. it did during a trial free period. now it had failed on 2 flights in a row. the screen locks up, no menus, nothing can bring it back. fortunately I still had my lowrance 1000 running and was able to continue my flight, despite it being woefully out of date. here you can see the screen shot as it was totallyu locked up. touching the screen in 2 places created the distance measurements. that showed the software was still running. I added more measurements, but nothing else would work. I will subscribe to garmin tomorrow.

That would certainly send me to Foreflight or Garmin. Those two are just too good to bother with lessor apps.

Think ahead to ADSB

If you want ADSB in wx:
Foreflight locks you into Stratus
Garmin locks you into Garmin
WingX goves you choices,

If that's important to you.

Foreflight on the iPad ROCKS!

+1 for foreflight. Regarding getting locked into an ads-b provider, I don't see that as a problem. The Stratus works great and when a new version comes out, it will too because they are made for each other (just like my wife and I, we are locked to each other and both very happy with that, as well as our 8 kids).

I've had the 720 for 10 months & it operated without issues.
I like the UI & the touch screen.
I wasn't going to pile on iFly as I thought this might be an isolated incident, but here goes.
2 weeks ago on my return leg from a XC, the 720 would not power up.
I tried both my power plugs and it still would not power it up.
I tested it again at home later thinking that maybe it got hot on the ramp.
Still no power with 12v or the ac adapter.
I called ifly tech support, they said they'd send me an RMA. No RMA sent. They said it was because of a new email server. They told me since it was under warranty, I need to send the unit back & they would send me a new one upon receipt of my unit.
One week later they said they had my unit & would send a new one out that day (Monday).
Wednesday, I left a message for a call back & sent an email looking for a tracking. No call back or email.
Called Friday morning, tech support was going to get me status & call back. Two hours later, left voicemail. Still no callback.
One hour later, I contacted tech support again. They had my unit, said they tested it & they said it worked fine but they would send me a new unit anyway. I called back to get a tracking# & they said the unit had already been picked up by USPS.
Do I trust it really went out. I hope so.

iFly 720

Hey Dan,

You kinda left us hang in'?. you've left the same negative post on two threads? what happened? Did you get the new unit from AP? How did.does it work?

Thanks

Kevin,

I am sorry for your experience with the iFly GPS App. With the recent iOS 7.1 and 7.1.2 updates, we've been working diligently to resolve any bugs tied to these new OS updates. I'm sure you've seen other apps issuing updates to resolve such bug fixes as well. Please understand this is no excuse. We aim to have the most pilot-friendly experience and that involves our product, service and support.

We are releasing a new version this week with many new features and stability improvements as well. Over the past few months, we've been "Unifying" our iFly versions across the iFly "dedicated", iPad and Android platforms and this has introduced some underlying bugs that are addressed in this release.

I can understand your frustration and please know that iFly GPS is fully committed to offering the highest quality Pilot Navigation solution on the iPad, Android and iFly "Dedicated Devices".

I'd like to personally invite you to contact me directly at 888-200-5129, just ask for Shane Woodson, and I will do everything I can to restore your confidence in our product and company. I just ask that you give us that opportunity.

It is very uncommon that we hear of a customer being unhappy with our customer service, this is evident by a brief "Google Search". An thus, this is something we do not take lightly. Our mission is to provide fellow pilots with the Easiest-to-Use Product, Best Values and all backed by our Best Support. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Shane Woodson
VP of Business Development
Adventure Pilot, LLC

Last edited: