feathercut

I'm New Here
Would like to hear some comparisons between iFly 720 ans Skyview. Brightness, legibility mounted in the panel? I need something in the right panel and would like to hear what is working out best. Other options?
Some are using Skyview - 10", 7"? How is that working out? I am limited to the power output of the Rotax.

You can see my arrangement of the 720 and SV below. Hard to depict in photos, but both are readable even in the direct sunlight of an RV canopy (mine is right in front of me, but would be readable on the right side as well). The SV is better, but the 720 is pretty good (orders of magnitude over a tablet which I don't even remove from my pubs bag anymore). I'm not very familiar w/ the -12 but have heard talk of power limitations preventing dual SV...?? If that is not the case, I would definitely go w/ a second SV screen vs. the Ifly. Now that SV has charts and plates, I don't even look at the 720. Plus the ability of having an integrated traffic/wx (ADS-B) solution on the SV would push me undoubtedly toward a second SV screen.

Having said all that, if other limitations prevent the 2d SV screen, the iFly is a great, realatively inexpensive unit.
DSC_2298.jpg

Skyview VS iFly720?

Not sure this is actually the right question.

Experimental aircraft need a primary flight display that I believe needs to be engineered specifically to be a primary flight display (PDF). DynonAvionics, MGL, Garmin, TruTrak, etc. make units that meet this need. The box right in front of you should be a dedicated unit designed from the ground up for flight.

You second unit is a different matter!

The tablet will follow Moore's Law, and will double in performance every 18 months, with a steady or dropping price tag. Because these are general purpose computers, with sales in the millions, R&D cost is not a limiting factor. Specialized hardware can not change like that.

As the hardware advances, the software makers struggle to keep up and keep competitive. Add new technologies that are maturing like bluetooth communication, solid state memory and display advances, and the tablets will far outpace your PFD at a fraction of the cost. Advanced software and external ADAHRS devices will make a tablet a more than adequate backup. MAYBE even BETTER than your three years old PFD.

In my installation, I'm going with Skyview as a primary, and a panel mount tablet that I can throw away every three years. I'll buy the remote ADAHRS, and get an easy to update system that will stay modern at a reasonable price over many years.

CC

iPad Mini

I had hoped my iPad Mini with X-Wing would do the nav job for the right-hand seat. Even with the screen turn to full brightness it is unusable in the bubble canopy of the 12. I have thought of an elaborate shroud but I doubt if that will even solve the problem.
From what I have read iFly is bright enough to be usable and would fit nicely on the right panel. I question if it is legible when right panel mounted and you're sitting back in the right seat as you normally would. With the gizmo mount it would be easy to pop out and plan your flights with your feet propped up in the den.
I hope that some users of the Ifly will chime in and pass along some information.
Also some information on other sub $1000 solutions would be welcomed

I will chime. Regarding the Ifly, it has been an excellent addition to my old d180 system. I have it mounted on a ram mount and it fits well under the d180. It works good with the skyguard adsb in/out that Adventure Pilot has bundled. I also have it slaved to the a/p. Adventure Pilot tech support are true gentlemen. The map upgrades are very reasonably priced. I just upgraded my 496 and it cost almost as much for a one-time upgrade as Adventure Pilot charges for a year of unlimited upgrades. If you buy the skyguard with the built in ahrs you will have even more benefits. I have contemplated building a Rans s-7 and the 720 would be the primary display for it. Buy it.;)