rolf

Patron
Who makes the External Battery pack for the iFly 700?
Any idea what the voltage and Amp-Hour rating is?

Thanks,
Rolf

I checked on the battery and its rated at 6600mah. Looks like they updated it. I have an iFly 700 and love it. I would not fly with out it, its so easy. They said a RAM yoke mount option and autopilot is coming very soon.

Read about it at www.iFlyGPS.com , I don't know about you guys but I think it's great they don't make you buy a new unit to get new software features. I just think they are a newer company with a great product that needs our support. After all they are US based in Texas.

What others give a 30-Day money back guarantee, including shipping? The best $499 I ever spent. Just my 2 cents.

I received mine last week and have only played with it in my recliner but I think I am really going to like it. It's very easy to get accustomed to using and finding all the different things it can do. It already has an rs232 output so when the software becomes available it will be a simple update I'm told. They told me the Autopilot interface will be ready by the time my plane is flying which should be around the end of March. I sure like seeing my plane overlayed on the sectional en-route.

i just bought an ifly 700 and just returned it.
I tried it in the plane and couldn't see the screen very good because of glare and not very bright. It wasnt in direct sun light.
No problem returning it, they sent me a prepaid return label within a day.
Now looking around at other gps. trying to figure out what will help with ifr flying.

I've had mine for a while now and love it. I've had many GPS models including AirMap, Bendix King AV8OR and used an iPad. All portable GPS models suffer in direct sunlight, that said my iFly 700 is more than readable. Sure a 696 might not suffer as much, but then it's almost 6 times the price and is not touch screen. If you've never tried a touch screen, it will spoil you real fast. And the iFly 700 has a cool remote just incase you get into heavy turbulence. They treat you like a king and are easy to contact, unlike Bendix King where it took me almost 2 months to get warranty service. I'd like to see the iFly 700 succeed and give pilots an affordable option with a low cost of ownership. Happy flying.

All portable GPS models suffer in direct sunlight, that said my iFly 700 is more than readable. Sure a 696 might not suffer as much, but then it's almost 6 times the price and is not touch screen.

The 696 doesn't suffer at all! :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A, Garmin 696

The 696 has an ultrabright screen for $2,899, but to say the 696 is not affected "at all" by direct sun is not fair to fellow readers. I was just stating the relationship of the price and effect of sun on the 696 and the iFly 700. At $499, my iFly 700 is very readable and as expected the 696 at $2,899 should be marginally effected by the direct sun.

I'm sure we both love our GPS, some might not be able to swing the $$$ for the Garmin. Garmin's great, but I'm sticking with my iFly 700 as they constantly update software with new features. For no charge. I'll always have the latest features without having to buy a new unit and save a ton on data costs each year. I think it all depends on what you want. I want a nice GPS and more "fun fuel" to go places and I get just that with the iFly 700.

The 696 has an ultrabright screen for $2,899, but to say the 696 is not affected "at all" by direct sun is not fair to fellow readers.

As an owner of a Garmin 696 for several years, and with a RV6A sliding canopy, in which I seldom use the shade.....................I must wholeheartedly disagree. It only looses some brightness, if it's viewed from an angle, such as the passenger seat. It's never been a problem brightness wise. I've had my backup GPS, a Lowarance 600c totally wash out. The same with my Icom A210's animated frequency screen, when the sun is from behind. But not the 696. Never!

L.Adamson ---- RV6A, Garmin 696

Best Deal

So for $200 more than IFly you can get an IPad that does all the same things plus so much more. To say they are difficult to read in the cockpit means that someone is flying by staring at a GPS instead of looking outside. The plan is to fly a heading and check in once and awhile on your "chart". All of the difficult to see devices can be seen by picking it up and moving it...like you would a chart. A 696 to me is overkill...kinda like having a plasma tv in your cockpit...lol

I suppose that is what the Vector screen is for. It is much more readable in sunlight than the sectional screen because of the darker green color and all the detail on the sectional. The white background and purple track line is very easy to see. I can see myself using the vector screen in bright conditions and switching to the sectional screen when needed.

So for $200 more than IFly you can get an IPad that does all the same things plus so much more. To say they are difficult to read in the cockpit means that someone is flying by staring at a GPS instead of looking outside. The plan is to fly a heading and check in once and awhile on your "chart". All of the difficult to see devices can be seen by picking it up and moving it...like you would a chart. A 696 to me is overkill...kinda like having a plasma tv in your cockpit...lol

Living in mountainous country, such that I do.............instead of the flatlands of Texas...........

The weather varies greatly for a good part of the year. The 696 is an excellent display of XM satellite weather, and very readable for other information as well, such as ATIS, AWOS, & ASOS.

I suppose an important advantage of the 696, is that you don't have to stare & squint at it to see the info, as with some screens... that wash out. Therefor, my eyes have much more time to look out of the cockpit... :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Mountains

..........instead of the flatlands of Texas..........

we have mountains! See, we're so big we have everything! (or we think we do!)

iFLy screen format? sectional vs vector?

Not sure if this is the best thread, but here goes.

in mountains, the sectional is REALLY hard to see detail about control zones etc. ditto for busy airspace. I'd love to have a vector option to toggle to....I've always thought that the old 'small screen' GPS's were superior in this way.....we seem to be demanding synthtic 'reality' vision, but pretty easy to get overwhelmed by all the pretty pictures.

by the way, anyone know if the Canadian sectionals are on the iFly yet?.....they seem to be advertising them for sale here????

my way

I looked at the IFLY 700 and was just about to order one from aircraft spruce when I saw the bendix/king page offered a hand held. I looked it over and decided the AV8OR had much more to offer and spruce gave away free shipping. Im very happy with the bendix/king, it does everything I want with no buttons to push or knobs to twist. I dont really need all that chart clutter I can get that for $12 a pop all I need is a green screen with a few roads and lakes and rivers and let the gps do the rest. just my choice.

vector charts

the sectional is REALLY hard to see detail about control zones etc. ditto for busy airspace. I'd love to have a vector option to toggle to....I've always thought that the old 'small screen' GPS's were superior in this way

I still have not decided on my GPs solution . I've tried a couple of the new "Flying sectionals" and find it really difficult to get information quickly. I like the old vector map data because I had situational awareness in a quick glance. This is one of the reasons I am so interested in what people are saying about the iFLY 700.