Man... IFly looks like a SMOKING deal! Garmin has been in the COCKY mode for the last couple of years... their day will come. :)

The software engineer / co-founder for the iFly came to a local flying-club meeting recently. He gave a demo, we got to play with the unit, and ask him plenty of questions. I was very impressed with what they have produced.

Ok I own a IFLYGPS! I have owned 196,296,av8or,anywhere map quadra, HANDS down I love the IFLY700. Heres why. #1 7" touch screen.#2 You get power cords ac & DC. You can store your personal pictures in it. #3 play music thru the 2 speckers Iam told. #4 has a suction mount that I have use in the skyhawk. Heres the other thing thats cool. Pilots complain about the touch screens on other GPSs in light chop well this comes with a REMOTE! The remote has the same keys as the units fade away buttons that never change position on the screen. Has all sectionals in the united states and low enroute charts for $69 bucks a year and get this $20 thats what i said TWENTY BUCKS for all the IFR approach plates, stars, sids for the whole USA!!! (GOVNMT CHARTS) ITS only $499 and you can pick a hard or soft case. I got the hard one and Iam glad I did since it gets pushed around so much. Its such a great value that I have volunteered 4 demos at EAA chapters around Oregon. I did order a yoke mount from Pacific Coast Avionics for the hawk and it fits perfectly between the two hands of the yoke. It does NOT come with a battery however I ordered the battery pack from IFLYGPS and it lasts 4 hours. You can use the battery pack for a laptop computer.It uses the standard power cord from the battery pack. Since the company is new (2 years) if theres something you would like to see in a software update just Email Walter the owner and he'll get back to you on it. Cool people to work with. I looked at the IPAD but it was a little to big to mpount near or on the panel. Now Iam 61 and what I liked about this unit comformaty. I mean I didn't look at the manual to see how it worked at first. I wanted to see about the hipe about this unit. It was so user friendly right out of the box, couldn't believe it! Example if I said to you count to 6 you would say 1,2,3,4,5,6, pretty simple. I found the other GPSs like this example. One, 1+1=2, 6 X.5=3, 2X2=4, 6-1= 5 , 1+2 +4 -1=6 Its aall correct but its a engineers example of counting. I like downloading TFRs and METARS. What i like about the METARS sysbols is a Line coming out of the airport circle indicating wind direction without and words. You can certainly pull up plain text metars or the you know those gov symbols. I will say you can't get nexrad radar images but thats what your cell phone can do even with the older cells. I love my unit. for $500 bucks its a great value. Yes are there better units for weather? YES This may not be for you. I haven't flown IFR approach for a year now but this unit works for me. Go to website Adventurepilot.com and read about it. Tell Walter Ron from Oregon sent you. I don't get any compensation for selling these units. I would love to tell you more about it but don't have the time. Walter ships pretty fast.

Last edited:
FLWing,

I have a 396 and an iFly700 in my -6, and they are both great tools. Its really a tough decision, and I'm not sure I'd want to give either up. Here's some thoughts (and I'd also ask, do you have a panel-mounted GPS as well...that will affect your decision greatly, IMHO. I don't, for frame of reference...just the 396 and the iFly):

The Garmin has multiple screens that offer a variety of info (terrain, obstacles, airport data, flight instruments, etc....along with flight time data and other items that you can get to pretty quickly). No weather on the 500, you have to jump over the $1K price point to get that. Not sure on the autopilot interface for the 500 either, but if its there (and you don't have a panel mount) that's a big plus...if you have an AP! Brantel and others that have one can probably tell ya more about the Aera line than I can.

The iFly has a bigger screen, and the look is different than the Garmin. But you get sectionals, approach plates and airport diagrams too. A lot for the price point. Obstacles and terrain are more passive here versus the Garmin line, but it works. By that I mean you have to pull the data visually from the sectional, versus pop-up terrain and obstacle warnings. But I often find myself referring to the iFly when I want to know the actual height of terrain well ahead for planning path corrections if its going to be close. The map is scalable, but I find the scaling quicker on the Garmin.

Flight planning and flight plan entry feels easier and quicker on the 396 to me, and that may be true for the Aera as well. But I'm still getting used to the iFly, and I use it as a backup nav reference and an EFB (of sorts) for sectionals and airport diagrams in my X-C flying. I also find that uploading database updates is easier, faster and cheaper on the iFly. Walter and gang are good folks too.

You really ought to play with each if you can...and it takes some time to put each through real world paces to see how you like using it, and find things you like and dislike.

My gut says that in the absence of a panel mount, the Area may offer more...maybe. If you have a panel mount, the iFly may be a very nice compliment, and the discussion is that adding an AP interface and Wx may be in the works (but don't buy on promises, compare what ya get now from each!) They really are both great tools...picking one is a tough call!

Hopefully more guys will chime in with more things to consider in making your decision. Good luck!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
I have the AERA 510. I don't "love" it. It's great, don't get me wrong. But it has some shortfalls. The pros are obvious. Reliable, XM, plays well with Dynon. The cons are, screen is too small compared to the 700, directly sunlight readability is marginal, expensive, kids can't go to college because it needs Garmin $$ updates, the AF/D is poor.

P.S. I need to add that the AERA 500 has a gps driven PFD. That was very important for me as I only have one MFD and no antique gauges.

Last edited:
Excellent Infomation

Thanks alot for the information. I can see where if you need a gps to connect to the autopilot or get XM weather you would need the Aera. Sounds like the iFly would be great otherwise. I looked at the ipad but it does not have the same kind of gps built in that the iFly does.

In my opinion, the IPAD (I have one) is a great addition to a portable or panel mounted GPS, but not a replacement for one.

I use both Garmin 396 with weather and IFly 700 in my RV4. Both are great! Having actual sectionals, low altitude enroute charts, approach plates, etc. via the IFly 700 is unbeatable. I agree that the IFly staff is extremely responsive to improvement suggestions. Autopilot interface, geo-referenced approach plates, and weather are not too far away. Also, as these improvements are implemented there will likely be no additional fees unless they use an outside vendor. The touch screen allows for easy and quick route changes when ATC throws a curve. It is an outstanding unit!

iFly 700

AutoPilot is in it's testing stage, maybe out next month. Street mode is coming soon as well. I have an iFly 700, AV8OR and love my iFly. My CFII that does my BFR's saw it and fell in love. He converted from an older Garmin to the iFly 700. Never looked back.

Sectionals and IFR charts for $89 for the year! My favorite feature is the touch and drag flight plan. 7" touch screen is perfect size.

Ps- I fly a C-172 and looking to buy/build a RV. I am 6'6", would a RV7 or RV8 be suitable. Have'nt been able to sit in one to see. Anyone ever eat at LNC's new cafe, just shout.

Thanks,

If you are not expecting to fly into Canada they look like a great product. They don't as of yet support any maps for Canada, and probably won't till Nav Canada lowers their prices.

I was told they are talking with Nav Canada and it is a priority for them to add. Apparently Nav Canada is slower to respond than they hoped for. Looks like Canada will be coming soon if Nav Canada will work with them promptly.

I ordered my Ifly 700 Saturday. I even talked to Walter on Christmas Day by E-mail. How's that for customer service. The unit already has the RS232 output and He told me they would have the autopilot part ready by the time my plane is flying which should be in March. He said it will be just a software update to make it function. Can't wait! :)

bought an ifly 700 also

I got tired of my Garmin 496 update costs $ as well as what i consider somewhat poor gps signal reception with both the unit and remote antennas.

The ifly 700 is a great deal. Everything from the packaging, unit performance, and customer support is excellent. The large screen is awesome compared to the small Garmin.

It took me longer to open the box than to get the unit up and running.
WOW this thing is easy to use.
The unit showed I had good GPS signal inside my home sitting by the window with the curtains drawn!

so far so good. an excellent value for $500

Update

Now that my plane is flying I have been able to try out the autopilot RS232 interface. It works great. Just connected the blue wire from my TruTrak EFIS-autopilot to the IFLY-700 with a ground and it works perfectly. You do need to buy the RS232 cord from IFLY to make is work right as the drivers are in a chip in the cord.

wow i must have a bad ifly700. i can't see the screen if the sun is shinning!

The 720's daylight readability is supposedly better than the 700's. My 720 is very, very hard to read in sunny conditions. That's the downside of iFly using a inexpensive off-the shelf hardware as their platform. If they spent another $50 on hardware, I think you'd see a tremendous improvement in the quality of the product.