Walt

Well Known Member
Not trying to be critical here, but I answer an awful lot of questions on the forums that folks should already know the answer to.

If you are building an aircraft you need to have certain tools. One of the most important tools is knowledge, and just like your tool box, you need to fill your knowledge tool box with the correct "tools" to do the job.

FAA Advisory Circular 43-13 is one of the most important documents available that can help you learn about aircraft assembly and maintenance processes.

It is a MUST HAVE item, if you do not have one get one, read it and become familiar with the info. Go there first and see if you can find the answer before posting the question on the forums.

Me knowing the answer, or looking it up for you doesn't help you in the long run.

Just felt like a little "tough love" was in order here :D

Thanks - Walt

LINK to AC 43-13

A little googling and people can find a single-pdf version which is handy to keep on the iPad using iBooks. 696 pages of informative, light reading. But seriously, it is handy to have it as one file on the iPad.

Absolutely agree on AC43.13

Another great book from the FAA is the FAA-H-8083-30 "Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook" which is an updated version of AC65-9A. It is very well illustrated.

It has some very basic stuff but Chapter 5 on Materials & Hardware and Chapter 7 on Fluid lines & Fitting are especially good for builders. Plus lots of other good stuff.

Absolutely agree on AC43.13

Another great book from the FAA is the FAA-H-8083-30 "Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook" which is an updated version of AC65-9A. It is very well illustrated.

It has some very basic stuff but Chapter 5 on Materials & Hardware and Chapter 7 on Fluid lines & Fitting are especially good for builders. Plus lots of other good stuff.

Also available in PDF format for free from the FAA...

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/amt_handbook/

Me,

My IPad has replaced all my paper manuals. The IBooks app gets a workout!

I'm a big fan of paper copies of these manuals (old fashioned I guess), PDF's are great for a quick reference source, but how many folks will actually sit down and study these manuals in PDF form?

I'm a big fan of paper copies of these manuals (old fashioned I guess), PDF's are great for a quick reference source, but how many folks will actually sit down and study these manuals in PDF form?

Me too. I use every medium available - paper books, my iPad and my Mac. One of the beauties of the iPad is I can take it virtually anywhere and have a library with me for what ever mood I'm in.

The advantage of paper copies is (and maybe I'm old fashioned) I can find things I've read faster. It's like I 'know' the geography of the paper and can find my way back. Now when it comes to searching, a different but related function, give me an electronic version any day!

I do, the PDF word search feature can't exactly be copied with a paper book...:)
Looking in the index and turning to page 341 is also usually quicker with the PDF

When you find the reference section of interest for a specific task it's easy to print a few pages out and take them into the workshop.

Additionaly, if you can lay your hands on specific aircraft repair and maintenance manuals, Cessna, Grumman, Beech, etc... they have a lot of reference material, most taken from AC43-1b, but organized for quick reference. They also show specific examples that interpret AC43-1b to apply to that airframe, like repair of a flange, etc...
I find them very useful. Most metal airplanes are built in very similar fasion.

Hard Copy

I bought a hard copy of 43-13 when I started. Where can I buy a hard copy of 8083-30? I down loaded PDF version of both, but I need something to read on "the throne"!!!!

I bought a hard copy of 43-13 when I started. Where can I buy a hard copy of 8083-30? I down loaded PDF version of both, but I need something to read on "the throne"!!!!

Google says....

http://www.amazon.com/Aviation-Maintenance-Technician-Handbook-General-FAA-H-8083-30/dp/1560277165

The advantage of the on-line copy is that it is always the latest version. However these books change slowly..:)

This one might also be good for the throne room...

http://www.amazon.com/Airframe-Powerplant-Mechanics-Handbook-65-15a/dp/0891000801