Vern

Well Known Member
If you were not there...

I have been involved with a number of RV friends lately who have suddenly been taken out of the picture due to accident,health crisis,or death. I've seen the affects this brings into households who normally have only one RV savy family member. Think about what your loss would do in your family circle. Your RV involves a significant emotional and financial asset.

Of course non RV-savy family and friends can help with all the details of a sickness or death, but only those familiar with aviation /RVs are knowledgeable and helpful in matters involving the RV.

So, in order to start what I think is a very useful thread, I'll toss out a few ideas. Others please share your wisdom with us.

Vern

1) Keep all your RV documents that would need to go with your project clearly marked. I have mine in a milk crate labeled 'Goes with Airplane.'

2) Make up a file folder labeled 'Airplane suggestions-in case of emergency'. Put names and numbers of buddies you would want contacted to assist your family, insurance agent names and numbers, airplane financial information, what you think you have invested in your project, any individuals or organizations to get your tools,etc. Be sure to include email addresses / this web site so we could all find out our friends situation. Perhaps leave a few urls listed such as the classifieds /Barnstormers/Matronics.etc so valuations could be estimated.

3) Hanger,plane, and tool box keys.

4) If in a shared hanger,point out your stuff now to family members. Label it with your name.

5) I think its a good idea for every RVer to get a buddy listed on your insurance as a pilot so they can demonstrate or help sell your bird if you are gone or take you for a ride if you cannot pilot it yourself. It would be great to teach them the ins and outs of your bird now so they could do this if needed.

6) Prepare now-no one thinks they are next but my personal experience proves otherwise.

7) One grieving mother of a friend who died in his Pitts had a small brick structure built in the backyard with a large window on the side. She had the wreckage stored in there and saw it every day as something her son loved dearly. I think this is extreme, but could this happen to your family / bird?

:(

Great Idea

Vern, I think yours is a great idea. I was "tuned" into this concept before I retired as a police officer, and I still keep an "In Case of Death" file in the front of my other files, but your idea takes things one step further, into our aviation world, thanks for the tip.

Find somebody, anybody, who is interested in building planes and teach them how to use all your tools and how to build. My grandfather gave me a few tools 5 years ago before I started building. I didn't have a clue what any of them were used for. I just put them in a box and never looked at them until a year ago. I could have used a lot of them building the -10. When he died in October I went through all his old tools and he had tons of drill bits, countersinks and tools that would have made my plane building go a little quicker. But imagine how much quicker it could have went if had passed all his airplane building knowledge to me. I also found his ID card from WWII. He was a riveter for EDO aircraft company. Pass your knowledge on!

Copies of biennial, condition inspection, and medical

I had an interesting discussion today with the unfortunate owner of the RV-6 that disappeared in southeast New Mexico last February (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=15724&highlight=Guadalupe). I asked him if he had been able to collect on his insurance. This led to a description of how long the process has been to satisfy the insurance company needs. While the ferry pilot was specifically named on the insurance policy, the owner needed to demonstrate that the pilot's biennial review and medical were current at the time of the accident, as well as the annual condition inspection record. But, the pilot's and plane's logs were apparently in the plane and have not been recovered.

Chasing the inspection and BFR records down just took time. (But, following up on the original point, it took the help of the previous owner and the pilot's son...aviation people...to find the right people to provide their records.) However, the medical was a real challenge. The relatively new medical privacy laws prohibit ANYONE (including the pilot's wife) from successfully petitioning for medical records. Apparently, even confirmation of the biennial flight physical. I guess the owner has finally found a way to satisfy the insurance company on this point, but only recently and he still doesn't have the check.

His point, which I will take to heart, is that we pilots need to keep copies of these three documents OUTSIDE the airplane in case the worse happens. Your family/friends have enough to deal with when they lose you. Make copies of these documents handy for them will reduce a little of the hassle that they will face.

So, in addition to making copies of my records, I'm going to ask the other named pilot on my policy to provide me with copies of his medical and BFR record. Just in case. Paul.......

Last edited:
"In case of death" folder...I like that. Makes me realize that there are alot of things in my like like safe deposit keys, safe combinations, insurance policies, vehicle titles, etc that no one beside me knows about.

G-force said:
"In case of death" folder...I like that. Makes me realize that there are alot of things in my like like safe deposit keys, safe combinations, insurance policies, vehicle titles, etc that no one beside me knows about.
I would still keep some of these things "hidden". If I get robbed, I don't want them to have all that info too but I do like the original idea.

Don't forget the computer...

Don't forget the computer. Many people use computer software to keep financial information (web banking, quicken, ms money, etc.) and often the spouse has no idea how to use these systems, or does not know the passwords.

What if?????

Vern,

Great topic.

In my 20 yrs doing Insurance this has come up too many times even with the basic stuff, where are the life insurance policies, are there any, who do I call? What do I do about estate taxes, what do I sell,etc.

The best idea I ever saw (just my opinion, the best one is the one you will actually do) was a simple three ring binder with dividers in it that had contact names to call like the Insurance folks, lawyer, etc.

Put it in a bookcase in your office or home and tell a couple people about it and where it is. You can put a copy of any power of attorneys for folks if you want and even letters of direction - instructions of where other docs may be or what you want done -- if.....

It's easier than trying to find "the" folder or computer file and can point someone where to look if something needs to be more securely stored.

Last, make sure there's a recent copy of your logs or again where they are so if you are gone someone can recreate them or find them if the are needed.

Great Reminder

This is a great idea and thanks, Vern, for initiating this thread. Several years ago, I shared an office with a fellow employee who became a good friend. One day I came into the office and saw he was busy working on a personal file. I asked him in a kidding way what he was working on. Much to my surprise, he told me he was working on his "If I'm Not Here File." He was updating the information his wife and children would need if he were to be incapacitated or even die.

In all my years of working in an office environment, I had never been aware of anyone else keeping a file of important information such as insurance agents, personnel office contacts, bank phone numbers, IRA info, etc., just as has been described. He encouraged me to start one, which I confess, is not up to date.

End of the story is that my friend died unexpectedly in a motorcycle accident just 3 weeks after he retired. His family's ordeal was a little less difficult because he had everything organized for them.

I've got to go get my list up-to-date. Thanks again, Vern.

Don

Ah, err. I let my wife know everything I'm doing, she knows everything. Second, the kids know everything. nothing should be a surprise to those close to you.

Great subject

Like Glenn, I'm a retired law enforcement officer. The other day I was working in my home office and found a list of things in a file that I had made while I was working. This dealt with 'my death.' Somewhere in my archives I've got a form that we had all of our officers complete in case of their death.

I was thinking about posting something like this a couple of weeks ago and just didn't get to it. Thanks Vern.

The form we used had all the basic information but had areas for hobbies, friends outside of work and other people to contact. It even had an area to discuss who you would want to talk at the funeral. Other areas included what to do with personal possessions etc...In our case we could have copies of Medicals, BFR's, and all of the pertinent data on the plane.

I've had the unfortunate opportunity to make many death notifications over the 30 years I was in cop work. This is very tough without complicating not being prepared. I've also had the opportunity to help a friend handle all of the untied ends. Not fun.

As RVer's I tend to believe we are on the upper end of the power curve. We need to transition this to our personal lives and insure our families burden after a bad situation is minimized.

I'm working on this today. It's 110 and a good reason to stay in the house.