PeteJE

I want to understand 91.319 (c) and operating limitations better (coming from someone who is not real clear on the current meaning of "experimental")

Should I feel insecure about investing so much in an "experimental" (time, emotion, and money)? I realize there is a testing period assigned and then operating limitations that basically allow your RV to operate with basically the same freedom (if not more) than certified planes. Is there any precedent or fear that operating limitations will be blanket mandated to become more restrictive in the future? Are experimental ceritifications privy to the whims of the current FAA administrators with no real recourse? Can they tell me, in the future that I can't fly in certain airspaces or densly populated areas? I heard some time back about a local FSDO trying to over regulate experimentals to be banned from operating out of some airports (ie KVNY). What legal or regulatory limitations would my experimental be possibly subjected to on this front??

Thanks for any help understanding this! I am not trying to start a flame war, but before I embark on the RV, I want to know I will have the same freedoms of airspace and FAA system use that I can get with a ceritified plane. (One of my reasons for building is I love the idea of the repairman's certificate and being able to control my own maintenance issues, so, I love the freedom and flexibility on that front, but reading 91.319 gives me insecurity (probably unwarranted)).

Pete

Last edited:
Pete,

Welcome aboard. As for your question- yes, I suppose that the government could at some future time place greater restrictions on what we can do with our experimentals. However, 50+ years of history indicates that this is unlikely.

There is a good article in this months Sport Aviation on the history of the experimental- amature built rule, which may address some of your concerns.

Who's got the guns?

Since the government has (most of) the guns, they can do whatever they want! :) The threat to Experimental aviation comes from the companies that make certified aircraft. If they feel that experimentals are eating into their business, they will buy some politicians to get laws passed to restrict their utility. Of course, the counterbalance to this is the EAA, acting in our behalf. I hope it does not come to this.

A more likely threat to GA is of course the airlines. This will equally effect both certified and experimental GA aircraft.

Of course, if we all go out and vote for someone that still believes in the constitution and the bill of rights, then this is much less likely.

Thanks for any help understanding this! I am not trying to start a flame war, but before I embark on the RV, I want to know I will have the same freedoms of airspace and FAA system use that I can get with a ceritified plane.

More than likely your fears about increased government regulation for experimentals in particular are unfounded.

But....the 900lb gorilla that is lurking in the room is the insurance industry. They have the power to shut us down whenever they decide we aren't worth the risk...... :(

WildThing said:
Insurance?!? WHAT insurance ;)

You know, that insurance that pays your bills when you are hurt and can't work.

(AF-quack)

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A - - N2PZ

Electronic Voting is the last step of control!

rv8ch said:
Since the government has (most of) the guns, they can do whatever they want! :) The threat to Experimental aviation comes from the companies that make certified aircraft. If they feel that experimentals are eating into their business, they will buy some politicians to get laws passed to restrict their utility. Of course, the counterbalance to this is the EAA, acting in our behalf. I hope it does not come to this.

A more likely threat to GA is of course the airlines. This will equally effect both certified and experimental GA aircraft.

Of course, if we all go out and vote for someone that still believes in the constitution and the bill of rights, then this is much less likely.

Mickey:

I was right with you until the last sentence. Ever since CHAD-GOREGATE, the Peach State has been on the "forefront" of electronic voting machines. While I will not rehash the evils and pitfalls of the Diebold Voting Devils, just during the last election, my county lost the votes of over 6 precincts due to network and server connectivity issues. It took over a week to "recover the data" from hard drives in the machines, at the precincts. I was taught that trust and respect are earned. In my opinion, few government entities, Federal, State or Local, care or worry about that trust and respect, just taxes.

If the EAA/FAA(ever notice the simulatrity?) did the right thing, we would fly Class 3 medical with a driver's license, not this sport pilot morass. These guys are looking out after everyone from the AMEs, the employees at the medical branch on OK City to the EAA Insurance Plan. Don't fool yourself that these guys are still a grassroots organization. The grassroots of the EAA is with the chapter system and the local volunteers, not the fundraisers in Oshkosh.

Sam:

You hit the nail on the head!

Everyone:

Enjoy your burgers, ribs and dawgs, but remember the heroes for which this holiday was created.

God bless America, not the crooks in office!

Last edited:
Voting

Hard Knox said:
...I was right with you until the last sentence. Ever since CHAD-GOREGATE, the Peach State has been on the "forefront" of electronic voting machines. ...
You are right. Electronic voting machines are extremely dangerous to democracy. Demand a voter verifiable paper trail!

If the Experimental concept disturbs you

If the Experimental concept disturbs you, and you obviously are not ignorant of the rules as they exist, then you probably should avoid building an experimental. If you feel at some time in the future that you can deal with the risks then a Van's aircraft (RV) it the least risky in every regard of the experimental options available.

Bob Axsom

Death and Taxes

Freedom is not guaranteed, you have to fight for it. In general aviation has more restrictions like TFR's. Corporate Biz jets may have to pay user fees to fly. However for now experimentals are not under attack, I mean changing for now.

One thing that has come under scrutiny is people building planes for hire or on speculation for resale. It is possible that further restrictions on resale or proof you built it will come into play? Who knows. Live life and don't worry so much.

Freedom needs to be fought for, but death and taxes are pretty much a sure thing. :eek:

Last edited:
dan said:
GET IT WHILE THE GETTIN's GOOD. Why do you think I fly so much?!

Yes, Dan, that seems like the best way to deal with the future risk (if any). Just fly the heck out of it and enjoy yourself!

Thanks all for the insights, opinions. I suspect the risk is worth it as I think GA as a whole might be taking hits as far as getting more expensive. I wrote boxer and got back the standard reply that made me feel she really couldn't give a _____ about our "little" special interest of GA.