jrsites

Well Known Member
The weekend edition's top-of-page editorial returned me to something i've pondered before. I've found myself wondering about what car is most analogous to an RV. I've settled on.......

The BMW 3 Series.

There are other cars in the same segment that are faster. Others with better handling. Others with a bigger cabin. Others that are less expensive. But when you take everything into consideration, the 3er just does everything well.

I can't think of another car of which the term "Total Performance" is more apropos.

I like the sports car analogy, especially for the RV-6 & 7.

Mazda MX-5 Miata...supercharged. Or possibly a classic Porsche 911.

pho_gallery_MX5_ext1.jpg

Last edited:
911's

Yep,
The 911 series of Porsche. I've owned two and they love to be thrashed and driven hard on twisty mountain roads, just like the RV responds so well to loops 'n rolls 'n such!!

Pierre

I think of mine as a Mercedes S430 or BMW 7 series. Lots of room, smooth ride and plenty of passing power when I have to pass one you in your two seater sports car!

Me too!!!

I can tell you my RV-6 reminds me of a Mazda MX-5 (new name for the 'Miata'), because that is exactly the car I drive - mine isn't supercharge, though.

Like the RV it is: sensibly priced ($20K), reasonably inexpensive to work on, has minimal interior decoration, not the most powerful car (but plenty fast acceleration), good gas mileage, a little noisy at cruise speeds and highly manueverable.

...and it needs new tires every so often:)

Fun thread.

b,
d

MacNab said:
I like the sports car analogy, especially for the RV-6 & 7.

Mazda MX-5 Miata...supercharged. Or possibly a classic Porsche 911.

pho_gallery_MX5_ext1.jpg

I agree with the Mazda MX-5 comparison, (I used to own one) with one exception. My RV-6 is still comfortable after 6 hrs. The Miata was not.

Since the RV is a pure American born and bred machine... should we find an American car for comparison?

Scott Will said:
Since the RV is a pure American born and bred machine... should we find an American car for comparison?

Is there really such a thing anymore? The Big 2.8 have factories around the world. Many of their cars share platforms with the international brands they own. The independent international brands all have factories and design centers here in the US. Etc., etc., etc..

I used to have a souped up MX-5 - or rather my wife did, she would let me drive it and work on it for her though. Then she decided she wanted a Jeep; bye, bye Miata.

I sold my aerial Jeep and bought an aerial sports car. I think it's a mid-life crisis thing. At least that's how a couple of my friends describe it. :)

Scott Will said:

Corvette ZO6 - it's just as fast - 200+ mph indicated - at sea level!
And wait till GM launch the blown version sometime soon:)

He're a prototype from 05 with GM plates that my company worked carbonfiber parts for. Sadly GM crushed this one and many of the other prototypes.

zo6qd0.jpg

Otherwise it's the MX5 - Zoom, Zoom, Zoom! - or one of Colin Chapman's magnificent Lotus, the early ones were kit built.

Who rembers Patrick "I am not a number...." McGoohan's Lotus 7 in The Prisoner TV series from the 60s?

Last edited:
jsharkey said:
...or one of Colin Chapman's magnificent Lotus, the early ones were kit built...
I immediately thought of the Lotus. Those cars got their performance from light weight and simplicity, not brute force. Very light handling and very good handling. Sounds like an RV to me.

jsharkey said:
Corvette ZO6 - it's just as fast - 200+ mph indicated - at sea level!
And wait till GM launch the blown version sometime soon:)

I probably should have said corvette since I have an LS2 engine in mine!

n5lp said:
I immediately thought of the Lotus. Those cars got their performance from light weight and simplicity, not brute force. Very light handling and very good handling. Sounds like an RV to me.

I can see that. The Lotus Elise is, like you said, a simple car that shines more because of what it doesn't do than what it does.

DeltaRomeo said:
I can tell you my RV-6 reminds me of a Mazda MX-5 (new name for the 'Miata'), because that is exactly the car I drive - mine isn't supercharge, though.

b,
d

Miata sounded too much like a hairdresser's car so they reverted to the European MX5. Much effort went into making the Mk3 just as light as the Mk1. A rarely heard feat in auto land.

I agree Scott -- how about a Roush Stage 3 mustang. A little boxy, but built for speed, tough as nails and tight in the turns.

Scott Will said:

3 Series!

I have to agree with the 3 series analogy, with the Mx-5 a close second. No way is an RV a Mustang, Mustangs are heavy!

Hans

Currently Own a MR2, but use to own a Lotus 7 replica home built.
I say Lotus 7 Replica, light, nimble, home built, Aluminum claded!

Build Pictures with MR2 in background
mr2_1.jpg

mr2_2.jpg

Advertising Photo
mr2_03.jpg

My old Lotus 7...I miss her :D
lotus_01.jpg

Rudi

Cobra

Rudi got close but not quite there. The RV in car form is a Cobra. Powerful, nimble and utilitarian, sure to turn a head wherever it goes. American made and today can be built fron a kit much like our RV's. Buy the airframe kit, choose and build an engine, add a tranny and axels, add a spartan interior, paint and test.

Must argue about primer, engine, tranny and suspension choices but not EFIS.

Here's a link to one of the many kits available.
http://www.shellvalley.com/Replicas_and_Jeeps/Cobra_Replica/

Jekyll

I think Rudi and Jekyll have it, but they are referring to two different RV based planes.

two seater RV : Lotus 7 (capabilities come from a simple elegant design)

Rocket: Cobra (takes that simple elegant design and adds some power)

Now that should start a war :D

MINI Cooper S

To me a 911 is too unattainable to fit, and the BMW 3-Series seats 4 too comfortably, but given that a MINI get better times in the slalom (according to the magazines), it is definitely a contender, especially with a 15% reduction supercharger pulley. I sure used to have fun with mine on the track and autocross before all my time and money shifted to flying and RV building! Not only does it score high on the fun meter, but its a great X-country machine -- I've driven my from Oregon to Baja with my wife, dog and luggage. Next trip to Baja will be in the RV because my wife doesn't ever want to deal with that road again!

While I haven't driven one yet, a Lotus Elise would be another contender.

I can't beleive this...

You guys are waisting all this time talking about cars on an airplane forum. :eek:

By the way RV's are most like a Mazda Miata, because that is what I drive. :p

Kent

A car?.. think more daring..

A RV is more like an American Harley Davidson..
There's something about the unmistakable deep roar of a Harley, and the respect it demands as you cruise down the road.
At 70+mph with the wind trying to rip the helmet off your head.. ;)
In fact, I was cruising by EYF Saturday on my HD Softail Heritage Classic and noticed a RV4 on final.
I pulled a U-turn, and watched him land & taxi up.
He was from a nearby airfield (Stag Park, Burgaw NC)
I had a nice chat with him as I drooled over his RV4.
(Martin Hamm, really nice guy)
I did offer to swap rides with him for a couple hours but, after looking at my Harley he replied.. "That's too much of a suicide machine for me".. :D
I'm not sure which sounded sweeter to me.. his engine/prop cranking up or, my Vance&Hines longshot exhaust pipes...
And yes, for the days my butt is too sore from riding, I slip into my Mustang GT convertible. (that is, if my son hasn't kidnapped it to the beach.. ;) )
Can't wait till I upgrade to a RV.. maybe soon.. ;)

I'm holding out for a Subaru Impreza WRX with the factory installed Lycoming under the hood! :D

Just kidding subie pilots. Couldn't resist.

The RV can be several things, that's the beauty of it to me.

If you build it light and don't use the largest engine allowed, the Miata is a good comparison - simple, efficient, light, handles well, has enough power, good for trips, etc. Most of the qualities all come back to the light weight, both for the Miata and RV.

The RV also reminds me of the Radical series of racecars - super light, powered by motorcycle engines, sequential transmissions, but low cost (~$50k) and fun, fun, fun!

sr3_front.jpg

TODR

Bryan Wood said:
I'm holding out for a Subaru Impreza WRX with the factory installed Lycoming under the hood! :D

:D :) :p I had a good laugh at this one...I have friend driving a WRX I'll run this one past him next time he tells me to fit a Subie to my plane...

Rudi

Bryan Wood said:

Closer than most here. Having a 9A, I have to stay away from the sports car list as it doesn't really compare. I've had too many sports cars to go down that road. Our 9A DOES in many ways remind me of my wife's Subaru Forester XT. Totally comfortable on a trip, carries all you really need, takes almost any conditions in stride, at 5.3 seconds 0-60 (!) far quicker than most, an absolute blast to drive and better looking than most SUV's. The look of surprise on people's faces when you pull away from them reminds me of an uninformed Cessna driver. While I wouldn't put a Subie under my cowl, many have. The turbo Forester also costs a bit more than I would really like; again similar to my thoughts on the plane. But also well worth it.

Bob Kelly

Scott Will said:
FYI - The Miata / MX-5 if a pure American born and bred machine. Designed in California for the American market and Mazda is owned and controlled by Ford. Thus the new MX-5 in the pictures has a Ford 2.0L engine.

Having spent time as an SCCA driving instructor, the Miata is about the right car to compare with.

The Vette's as good as they are, are more like an F1.

You need to drive a Miata to understand it and one that has a SC or TC installed is even that much more fun. I really enjoyed watching a friend's 360 RWHP turbo Miata walk away from Z-06's. Man, that car could move!

Doug is right, working on these cars is dirt simple too and they are strong, very strong.

I might go has far as saying an RV-3 is more like an new Lotus. Great fun! Lots of HP per Lb. Will do anything you ask of it and surprise a lot of people. Just don't ask me to drive one again, my big 'ol butt doesn't fit in them very well.

N941WR said:
You need to drive a Miata to understand it and one that has a SC or TC installed is even that much more fun. I really enjoyed watching a friend's 360 RWHP turbo Miata walk away from Z-06's. Man, that car could move!
Shoot, just the Monster Miata with the Ford 302 4.9l V8 (yes, Ford calls it a 5.0, but 4922cc does not round up to 5.0l) makes for plenty of powersliding fun :) Putting on a blower .... :eek:

One more vote for the Miata

My 94 Miata and my 06 RV are very comparable. Light, effcient, simple, and FUN.

the_other_dougreeves said:
Shoot, just the Monster Miata with the Ford 302 4.9l V8 (yes, Ford calls it a 5.0, but 4922cc does not round up to 5.0l) makes for plenty of powersliding fun :) Putting on a blower .... :eek:
Doug,

That was out of the 1.8L 4 cyl engine, not the V8. He had water injection and a lot of other cool tricks on that engine. It was his daily driver for about a year until it became just a track car. His biggest problem was traction, or lack there of. You could step it sideways at 60 to 70 mph, if you weren't careful. That would really get your attention!

However, I have seen a Monster Miata with a supercharger and NOS, that was just a bit over the top, even by my standards.

Last edited:
I currently own a Lotus Exige, Mazda Miata (with nitrous), Factory Five Cobra and FRC Vette (480 HP Doug Rippie engine). Altogether they are worth less than my RV6. Driving on the track is my main hobby, and I instruct for NASA (club racing). Over the past few years I have ridden in every description of sports car. There is one that comes the closest, and that is the Factory Five Racing Cobra replica. Classic American design (with some British help), homebuilt, beautiful curves, powerful, economical to fix, open top, handles so well it is considered "darty", even questions about where you can drive/fly it. You can stick whatever power plant under the hood you desire. I love them both. The Cobra keeps up with most cars with a stock 302 Ford engine that runs on regular gas.
The Exige is light and fast, but quirky, not really very practical. The squeaks, rattles and unreliability are bothersome. It is hard to do any work on it yourself, even to change the oil. Repairs are outrageously expensive.
The Lotus 7 is an interesting comparison. It is faster than almost anything on the track, is very tiny and of course homebuilt versions are most common. There are many other planes that would compare more directly to this car, most of them much faster than the RV.
Corvette, nah. The RV6 doesn't remind me of American muscle. The Vette is numb in comparison to the other vehicles.
The Miata is a little too "girly" to compare to the RV. Sorry. I own one and love it but it does have that image. My roll bar, tow hooks, and nitrous dispel the girly image of my vehicle.
Radical? Well, the car is faster than anything else on the track for the money. The definition of "engine rebuild" in racing is a Radical completing one track session. Ouch.

I sold a very nice 2004 Mooney to buy my RV6. The RV6 is a plane that I can live with the rest of my life, for 1/3 the fixed expense.