Davepar

Well Known Member
I was trying to describe to my dad what flying is like in an RV-7. I said it was like an MG. The cockpit is cozy, but the view is incredible and it's fun as heck.

Anybody have a better comparison car?

Guess we'd have to use a motorcycle to describe an RV-8, since tandem cars are pretty rare.

I haven't ridden in a -9/9A, but is it so different that it compares to a different car?

Zoom Zoom

It's not a true tip-up with that ''roll bar'' in your field of view, but I'd go with the Mazda MX-5. It drives a lot like my RV-6 flies. Instantly goes where you think it too....

2498 lbs
170 hp @ 6700 rpm
Turns on a dime...

photo from the Mazda site:

Got rid of the 15mpg truck a month ago and don't really miss it that much. I could build a RV in the space it freed up in the garage <g>. 2/3rds the cost to own/operate also!!!

b,
d

Last edited:
Mustang/Camero

I once heard the C-182 described as the Cadillac of airplanes, so I came up with a few of my own:

C-172: Full size family car (mass produced car for the average joe), although minivan is pretty good too.

Buisiness Jet: Limo

Cessna Caravan: Cargo Van

Lancair: Corvette

Lancair w/ turboprop: Lamborghini

RV: Mustang/Camero (A high performance machine while being relatively simple and economical)

Large Commercial Jet: A huge flippin' bus

Which reminds me, when I sence someone that I'm talking to is implying that my "little" airplane is less of an airplane because it is not as big as a 747, I ask "What would you rather be driving, a sports car on a curvy road or a huge bus on the freeway?" That usually puts the RV-experience into perspective.

Mx5

DeltaRomeo said:
It's not a true tip-up with that ''roll bar'' in your field of view, but I'd go with the Mazda MX-5. It drives a lot like my RV-6 flies. Instantly goes where you think it too....

Got rid of the 15mpg truck a month ago and don't really miss it that much. I could build a RV in the space it freed up in the garage <g>. 2/3rds the cost to own/operate also!!!

Doug,

What kind of milage to you get with that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Id suggest a Mustang GT comparison- fast and cheap compared to its peers. Performance without snob appeal.

When do we get a convertable RV?

DeltaRomeo said:

I'd vote for the Miata too. Like the RV, it has a large following who like to
modify and tweak their machines to optimize performance. The "Spec Miata"
racing community is HUGE.

Other reasons:

* 2 seats only (sorrry to offend RV-10 folks)
* Excellent visibility (with top down)
* Nimble and lightweight
* Intuitive handling
* Economical operation
* Uncomplicated systems (look at a Benz lately?)
* Relatively inexpensive when compared to machines with similar performance
* 4-banger engine
* Some wish they had a rotary engine ;)
* I want them both :D

9 days until the TEX fly-in....

I have to go with Corvette.
The Corvette is not the perfect sports car, but it also doesn't cost what a Ferrari or Lamborghini would either.

In other words, it does lot's of sporty car things very well at a price considerably less than the rest which, while that doesn't make it the perfect sports car, it does make it the perfect balance for a sports car.

That sounds like an RV to me. ;) (Note to self; when the RV is flying, get a good shot of it sitting next to my '75 Vette Rdstr. :D )

I've always said Miata, primarily for the social aspect. Back when they first came out, a Miata driver never passed another without a headlight flash and a wave. That's the way I see RVers to be, and it was a big part of my purchase decision (as a non-builder).

Having driven cars from Z-06's to cobras (replicas and Ford Mustangs) to Cameros to Ferraris to Miatas on various road courses, I have to back Doug's assessment.

Mustangs and Z-28's, while fast, can't stop or turn with a Miata, thus Miatas tend to run in faster race "classes". Ferraris are just too darn small. :( Vettes would be a good comparison to the Rockets.

Sorry Jack, but the Factory 5 Cobra is one of the most frightening vehicles I have ever driven on course and the one I drove was "set up correctly". No brakes, couldn?t turn in to save your life, and the throttle had two settings; on and off. Man, I loved the torque though! Strictly a drag racer / boulevard cruiser.

You have to drive a Miata on a very curvy road to appreciate it. Something like the Tail of the Dragon should convince you.

RV7Guy said:
Doug, What kind of milage to you get with that?
I've now gone through (5) tanks of gas, and the average is as follows per tank: 25 24 27.3 27.6 26.4

I haven't exactly been babying it :D, which accounts for the 'low' mileage. If I pampered it, and used the super premium that is recommended, I'm pretty sure I'd get 2mpg more.
B,
D

Last edited:
based on older cars i've driven--

My RV 7A is close enough to a late 70's or mid 80's Porsche 911SC.

They're very light, you can yank and bank and the car will take it. Although 911's have horizontal flat sixes, the power of their 180hp--210hp feels about the same as my IO-360.

I have played around at racktracks like Riverside, Willow Springs, Las Vegas and Laguna Seca since the early eighties. And got to drive all most all the prepped cars.

I wouldn't call my RV a vette-- based on the ZR-1's that I've driven on the tracks. Too powerful to be an RV, too heavy and the brakes fail and you can't just pitch and roll the car into a corner, too heavy. Nice car though. I designed my landing lights after the new Vette's headlight.

I wouldn't call mine a Miata- nice car,decent handling up to a point, too light, underpowered.

THe turbo Mazda RX-7's circa '91 almost feels like my RV but still a bit too heavy and rotory power.

The way an RV handles and flies really feels like a Porsche 1970 914-6 GT. A 911 will spin on you whereas a 914-6 (which has the bigger flat six) will take huge yanks and stay with you.

The cars nowadays are just too heavy. And don't you think the Miata-- I just can't compare the 360 cu. inches of grunt to a buzzing revving eng.

A track prepared late Mustang probably is close if the weight is down otherwise they push into the corners unlike an RV that can be thrown into a corner.

I was chasing DanC's RV the other day on dirt roads, down low thru some beautiful valleys while he was giving a guy from Houston a demo ride-- Darrel (sp?). Hee haw.

MY RV flies and handles like a med. powered racecar.

IMHO.

An Early 911

I've frequently described my RV as being much like an early 911 with wings. Lightweight, efficient, cozy room for two plus some luggage, and not a lot of extraneous stuff to interfere with the pilot/plane/air interface.

Since I have a '78 911SC I guess I am at least consistent - and the footwork skills that help in landing the RV probably also help with keeping the 911's tail from coming around on you in a fast corner, too :)

Subaru WRX

Very nimble with more power than the Miata but not a muscle car. A nice blend of power and agility. Oh yeah, there is the flat four factor and both byte at the outer edge of the envelope (referring to RV-7 fully developed spin).

Sorry, this is my first new car since 1991. I guess I had to show off a little.

Hugh

carnplane2mh.jpg

Last edited:
re: mx-5

I haven't begun to fly yet but I have owned miatas and believe that to be an exellent comparison. The consumate blend of form/function. Agile. Quick yet practical.

re: milage: I get mid - 3xs in my 97 [depends upon my foot] and that is mostly highway driving. Maintenance is easy & self-do'er friendly, parts plentiful [therefore not painfully expensive].

great place for miata info: miataforum.com

zoom zoom

John

Most RV models: Honda S2000 Reliable bang for the buck....aka "Total Performance".

I guess if you have a 10 with a Sub it would be one of the Subie sti rigs.

CAW

RV7 like a Mazda RX8

I would have to say that I hope my airplane likens to a Mazda RX8. Seeing as how thats the engine I am using...

Ben Schneider

N713R RV7 Tip up, Mazda Renesis, GRT EFIS, Finish kit and FWF

DeltaRomeo said:
I've now gone through (5) tanks of gas, and the average is as follows per tank: 25 24 27.3 27.6 26.4

I haven't exactly been babying it :D, which accounts for the 'low' mileage. If I pampered it, and used the super premium that is recommended, I'm pretty sure I'd get 2mpg more.
B,
D

That's about the same as my Cooper S. 1.6 liter supercharged gets 170 hp. Averaging about 27 mpg. Just can't keep my foot out of it. Handling wise, I would say the RV and Mini are similar. I feel the RV has better acceleration. Less than half the weight with 200 hp.

Hmmm...I've owned a few RX-7's, and probably would compare it to that had I not also owned a few MR-2's-especially MkI's. What a fun little car! I really like the refinements of the MkII's (my last one), but I'd say first generation MR-2 would be a great comparison for me. Quick, nimble, comfortable for two plus a couple of bags, and great vis. Great 4 pot engine too! :cool:

I hoping my RV-10 will be just like a Mercedes E420. Roomy yet sporty, can get you and some friends anywhere you want to go quickly! Leather interior and wood trim. Can blow the doors off most sports cars , foreign or domestic!

It'd be a '99 Toyota Celica. Comfortable, good performance and sporty but easy to handle, economical and enough room in back for my golf clubs. Nothing glamourous, fun to drive, reliable. The perfect everyday car.

I'd put my vote for a '90's Nissian 300ZX Twin Turbo. Fast (but not supercar fast) breakneck acceleration (climb) and excellent handling.

Just took delivery of a new Cadillac CTS. Very cool car and driving home tonight I had this post in my mind. I'd say this car fits the bill... with the 3.6L engine option. Of course I couldn't convince my wife to get the CTS-V with the 469hp V8!!

CTS - small, nimble, it goes when you tell it and where you tell it... just like an RV.

Now the view from a car nerd

It's really interesting to see how people relate their RV's to cars. For most people cars are a very organic thing. The style and perceived performance of the car becomes a character all it's own.

I would compare an RV to a car more in the way it performs in the air and how it feels to the pilot not what emotions it creates. This may not be the most popular way to compare an RV but in my line of work a car has lost most of it's emotional character.

RV's in general are quite easy to fly and give a high level of confidence to the pilot. This confidence comes from the linear response gain in the controls, the balance of pitch and roll, and the stability. When a new pilot flys an RV they feel like the plane is doing what they want it to and it doesn't feel like it wants to get away from them. When an experienced pilot flys an RV they are able to push it around relatively hard and it maintains it's linear response all the way to the limit. The limit isn't too high but it's high enough for an experienced pilot to have alot of fun. An RV is also a very comfortable plane to travel long distances because of a relatively well layed out interior and it's stabile platform.

Now if I take that evaluation of a general RV and relate it to a car, a couple of cars come to mind.

Porsche 944: very easy to drive at the limit, when at the track it always has a little extra in reserve even though the absolute limit isn't extremely high. Overall one of the most balanced cars ever made and quite comfortable as a touring car.

BMW E36 (1993-1998 325, M3..): Not quite as clean at the limit as a 944 but very confidence inspiring and very linear all the way to the limit. A car that the harder you push the smoother it gets. Someone can use it to get groceries and tear up the corners on the way home. Also a car that's great to travel with.

Now about the Miata. Yes on the emotional side it's a good choice, it just doesn't have the linear limit handling (it's just not near as forgiving as the 944 or the E36) and it's not the traveling machine the RV is. Don't get me wrong, I like Miatas and have a crazy number of hours in them at the track, I just don't relate them to an RV.

Last edited:
N916K said:
Now about the Miata. Yes on the emotional side it's a good choice, it just doesn't have the linear limit handling (it's just not near as forgiving as the 944 or the E36) and it's not the traveling machine the RV is. Don't get me wrong, I like Miatas and have a crazy number of hours in them at the track, I just don't relate them to an RV.
Excellent point. Perhaps the Miata is more like the RV-6/7. The RV-9 is more of a traveling airplane, so perhaps the analogy breaks down there.

Drive the 3rd gen Miatas ("NC") with the sport suspension. I can't vouch for handling at the limit (Doug?), but the car will rotate properly with throttle going into the corner and seems to be well behaved. It's not the performance machine that a M3 or 911 is, but it costs a lot less and is more economical, just like the RV is in comparison to a Super Decathalon or Extra 300.

I guess it's that the Miata is a good balance of everything - speed (< 7 sec 0-60), nimbleness, brakes, visibility, comfort and FUN. It's not the best at (fill in the blank), but it does well in all areas. Likewise, the RV - it's not the fastest (Columbia 400), roomiest (Bonanza), cheapest (150) or twitchiest (E300) single out there, but it does many things well, and that's why I like the RV.

Doug "don't call me DR" Reeves

No, I meant all the two seat RV's

the_other_dougreeves said:
Excellent point. Perhaps the Miata is more like the RV-6/7. The RV-9 is more of a traveling airplane, so perhaps the analogy breaks down there.

I have an RV9 but I've got a little stick time in a 6,4, and a Harmon Rocket, The analogy was meant for all the RV's. :) The roll rates and stick forces may differ but the basic flying qualities are very similar.

About the Miata, yes over the years they have tuned it down a bit (especially after that 1990 car), but the last time I drove a new Miata on the track (a few weeks ago) it still lacked a little composure at the limit, especially at very high speeds. Basically it requires more and more driving the harder you push it, it doesn't want to settle down like some of the more stable high speed cars out there. The Mazda engineers have done a good job at moving the limit above where most people can drive. The early Miatas had some wicked handling at very low limits. Made the car a hoot to drive but not a car for the masses. Overall it's about the best convertible sports car out there at ANY price.

Last edited:
Jaguars and Porsches and Mustangs... The winner is..

My all time favorite car is my 63 Jaguar.
Jag.jpg

The photo is from my long hair days :D
The car is now a basket case, I could rebuild it. However I decided to build a RV instead .

My RV has a reserved N-number of 924WH.
with a O-235 The number is partial tribute to the small engined Porsche.
It really means ?Experimental Niner, Two for Whisky Hotel" . Kind of like Two seats of a RV9 for me .

I have never flown in a RV, nor have I driven a Lamborghini... :confused:
So I really have no qualifications for any opinion.

My current set of wheels is a second hand Mustang, cheap (so I can afford the RV) and simple.
Mustang.jpg

The airplane factory is in the background.

Although I have only driven a couple of Porsches I will toss my hat into the RV is a Porsche ring.
It is said that the Porsche is the Best all around sports car. The RV is the Best all around sports plane.

AHYUP
Warren

A sports car with wings...

After 170+ hours of flying my RV-9A, I still use the phrase with non-RV pilots and non-pilots: "A sports car with wings" to describe my airplane.

I never thought about what kind of sports car. The idea of the 747 as a bus on the freeway, vs. a sports car on a curvy road, yeah, that one is right there. Good handling, agility, but enough comfort to cruise on a trip (my RV-9A).

I guess my posting is based on the fact that I never owned a Mustang, Corvette, MG, Porche, etc. etc. etc. I did have the 1971 Toyota Corona Mark II 2-door hardtop with a 4-speed stick - the best that Toyota had to offer - right before the first Celica was introduced. With my size, I could not fit into the Celica comfortably. I had the Corona Mark II up to 115 MPH one time to discover that it floated down the interstate barely in control - not the kind of solid feeling I have with my RV-9A at 180 MPH or cruising for economy at 160 MPH and getting 25 MPG, just like the Toyota.

As for the car I drive today, at age 59, the car is a Cadillac Coupe de Ville with a Northstar V8 getting 25-27 MPG on the interstate at 70 MPH. I have driven it from Chattanooga to Round Rock, Texas in a long 16-hour day. Labor Day weekend 2005 saw me flying the RV to Georgetown, TX near Round Rock to visit my son. The travel time was about five hours, and the AVGAS price that trip was $2.75 per gallon, while the autogas price that weekend was $3.00.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ
www.n2prise.org

I can't be that much older than the rest of y'all.
But what comes instantly to mind for me, is either a Sunbeam Tiger, or a Falcon Sprint

...a Nissan 350Z.

Smart. Economical. Runs circles around many European brands but for 10's of thousands less.

OR....

If you've gotta build it yourself...Factory Five Racing's kit cars win hands-down.

375web.jpg