turbo

Well Known Member
there is a lot of information in ower log books especially if you fly a lot. where have you been,who have you been with,were did you eat. mine reads like a diary unless i am out of town, without the plane, or it is down for maintenance like this week. 4 to 5 flights a week is common. RV for getting there or helos for FUN.

at chester airport KSNC in ct i ran across this stack of log books!!!!!!!! from the early 80s to present time they tell a sad story of pilots who tried but stopped flying for some reason. one book read, 2nd flight, power on and off stalls. that was his last flight. WOW i think that was too soon. the list goes on. do you need a good used or not so used logbook???????????

log book memories, there are a bunch right here. my RV has offered me so many memories of flights and new friends, see you all in the pattern.:)
img1178j.jpg

Last edited:
logs

I started my flying lessons in 1985 ,soloed Nov that year, passed my written and was signed off to take the checkride. Life got in the way , got back into it and got my ticket about 4 years ago at the same airport I soloed at . All that time and only 1 log book !!! My instructor took a double take at the dates of my first lessons.

I started flying in 1978. Not long ago I looked up all the N #s in my log books.
It was a fun trip down memory lane (airway?) :)

They can talk

I just wish I had put a lot more in them than I did. As it is I still find quite a few occasions to look back and enjoy the past experiences. I consider those books some of my most valuable possessions.

P1000405.jpg

I was in there just a few minutes ago to get information for the big Edwards AFB lottery to land on the hallowed dry lake.

P1000408.jpg

P1000409.jpg

Yeah, I had quite a few hours before the private flight test, but then I wasn't the minimum age yet.

Not normal, me thinks.

Here's the entry for my 3rd flight.

"Slow roll, snap roll, loop, spins"

That was 22 years ago and I'm pretty sure that was the last time I was upside down in a plane. :)

P1000408.jpg

Yeah, I had quite a few hours before the private flight test, but then I wasn't the minimum age yet.

Larry,
I was in the forth grade when you got your private ticket.
Thanks for making me feel young again!

Mark

Larry,
I was in the forth grade when you got your private ticket.
Thanks for making me feel young again!

Mark
Always glad to be of service to my fellow citizen pilots but I'm sure there are many on here who can put me to shame.

Here's the entry for my 3rd flight.

"Slow roll, snap roll, loop, spins"

That was 22 years ago and I'm pretty sure that was the last time I was upside down in a plane. :)

Not to be competitive but I have some interesting entries on the first page of my log book as well.

3rd entry is a C-337...so I have multi time.
4th entry is a Pitts S2b...flight includes loops, rolls, and hammerheads.
5th entry is a Bellanca 8KCAB for slow flight.

I also have entries from an Aeronca 7AC and 7EC (including solo) before finishing in a 172 (the old straight tail kind), and have the signatures of 5 different CFIs. All in less than 50 hours total.

I didn't realize how lucky I was at the time.

WW II Log Books

My father past away several years ago. I have his log book from WW II. He flew in the Pacific Theater during the war. Some very interesting reading.

David Fuchs

fun to look back

First log entry at age 13 "flew to grandpa's farm to get log book"
age 17 engine quit landed in bean field
next entry engine fixed took off from bean field
age 17 " first flight in bowers flybaby.. no check out only one seat."
age 24 " passed 727 engineer check ride... hardest check ride off my life"

Sept 11,2001 TUL to DEN landed in Denver mech's said a plane crashed into the world trade center didn't know who. Went down to maint kiosk and saw UAL 175 smashing into the second tower. Called dispatch no info, went up and stopped the boarding on our flight told everyone to go back in terminal.

cm

When purchasing my current homebuilt aircraft the builder's family could not find any of the aircraft logs - they had been lost when they moved from the farm where the airplane had been built. I needed to get some idea of how many hours were on the airplane and engine, and the family very graciously provided the builder's personal pilot logs to me for review.

As I poured over the logbooks, intent on getting the numbers right, something strange happened. I stopped looking at the numbers and started reading the notes made in a neat hand. I read of adventures looking for lost cows, checking fields for drainage in the spring, and looking for the telltale signs of rust infection in wheat fields. His logbook triumphantly announced a landing at his daughter's farm after her marriage and went on to track first his son-in-law's introduction to aviation (he eventually got his license in this airplane), and then his grandson's first flight. The ink on that page was fairly bursting with paternal pride.

The logbooks reflected great humility in his abilities as a pilot, and great pride in having given to others the opportunity to experience flight, often for the first time in a young life.

It took me over two months to compile the statistics necessary to have a solid guess at the hours on my airplane. Every time I would dive into the logbooks I'd get lost in the pictures painted by his descriptions of the flights. That little airplane certainly lived up to her registration mark - JOY.

The builder of my airplane, Jim, was a gentleman in every sense of the word. Often on the radio I'll be asked, "is that Jim's airplane? How's it flying?" She'll never be truly mine as Jim's spirit lives strong in her bones. I can't go to a fly-in without somebody recognizing the airplane and recounting a story of how its builder helped them with their project, or welcomed them at his farm airstrip, or sowed the seeds of inspiration by taking them for their first flight in a homebuilt airplane.

Jim has left a rather large pair of shoes to fill. His logbooks leave a permanent register of a life well lived with aviation as a common thread. I can only hope that when I'm gone my logbooks may tell a similar story.

Blue skies and tailwinds to you, Jim. You're missed.

mark, that is a great.........

story of you and jim. log books do talk an aviators story. thanks. keep er flyin'

I just wish I had put a lot more in them than I did.

Me too----------but probably meant in a bit different manner than you do.

I stopped logging most of my short local flights after a few years of having my old Stinson-------now when shopping for insurance for the new RV---------well, let me just recommend folks log every minute of time allowed.

To the insurance companies, the only reality is what is on paper.

My log books say "You need to get out and fly more."

If your log books are talking to you, well, I suggest you forget renewing your medical and join us in the Sport Pilot world. :)

TODR

looks like we all sooner or later...........

My log books say "You need to get out and fly more."

If your log books are talking to you, well, I suggest you forget renewing your medical and join us in the Sport Pilot world. :)

TODR

............ will be flying sport pilot type. till then the sky is the limit.