walkman

Well Known Member
As the title says, if I install a Trig TT22 transponder and a GRT HXr EFIS to control it, do I need to install the control head for the transponder as well?

I'm trying to save space on a my panel.

I remain confused about ADSB and Mode S and squitters and extended squitters. I currently have a Skyradar dual band ADSB unit which I used with the HXr I put in the -6. I want to make sure in the new panel I have all the bells, whistles, and requirements met for 2020 and get all the benefits.

Nope ...

As the title says, if I install a Trig TT22 transponder and a GRT HXr EFIS to control it, do I need to install the control head for the transponder as well?

I'm trying to save space on a my panel.

I remain confused about ADSB and Mode S and squitters and extended squitters. I currently have a Skyradar dual band ADSB unit which I used with the HXr I put in the -6. I want to make sure in the new panel I have all the bells, whistles, and requirements met for 2020 and get all the benefits.

The Trig TT21/22/31 can get the encoder info it needs, sent to it from any GRT EFIS.
The "control" can be provided by your GRT HXr.

I have a TT-22 *WITH* the 2 1/4" control head. I has the encoder on back and the buttons on from for "control". It is set up for my ADS-B out. My data source is a Garmin 496 for the moment.

I have used (tested) several brands of ADS-B receivers that now work with certain iPad apps and the GRT EFIS's. You should be just fine and your panel shall remain uncluttered. :)

James

The Trig TT21/22/31 can get the encoder info it needs, sent to it from any GRT EFIS.
The "control" can be provided by your GRT HXr.

I have a TT-22 *WITH* the 2 1/4" control head. I has the encoder on back and the buttons on from for "control". It is set up for my ADS-B out. My data source is a Garmin 496 for the moment.

I have used (tested) several brands of ADS-B receivers that now work with certain iPad apps and the GRT EFIS's. You should be just fine and your panel shall remain uncluttered. :)

James

To clarify, I can totally remote mount the TT22 with out any external buttons for the pilot and control it entirely with the HXr.

What happens if the EFIS fails? Retains its currently set code I assume.

I'm looking at a radio stack that looks like:
GMA 240
GTN 650
SL-40
TT22
and an HXr with the WAAS GPS module, EIS, and Skyradar dual band.
I have a pre-existing TruTrak Vizion 385

The Trig TT21 and TT22 transponder is uniquely useful to HXr users because it is able interface with the EFIS remotely, eliminating the need for a separate control head on the instrument panel.

Hi Martin,

It helps to realize there are two different ways to purchase the Trig. First as a complete setup with the control head, and second as a "remote unit only" without a control head.

In the first scenario you mount the control head in the panel and your transponder unit (that is remote mounted) it is controlled through that, not the GRT.

In the second scenario you mount the main transponder unit remotely, and control it through thr GRT. Note that if you choose this scenario, you must purchase the optional "remote control module" (either a single or dual screen control) from GRT.

Also note that they cannot be mixed and matched...either control it through the panel interface, OR the EFIS, but not both. Also not the "remote module" required from GRT is not a Trig product (we have seen confusion with this).

Hope I didn't confuse you too much!

Cheers,
Stein

What happens if the EFIS fails? Retains its currently set code I assume.

The TSO for a transponder requires that if the user control for the Transponder fails, the transponder must go into standby within a few seconds.