Rick of Austin

Well Known Member
This thread has the potential to be super helpful to any EAB builders, so please post what you your opinions are if you had the leeway we do with the other kits. I'll start,

Since I live on a grass strip far from controlled airspace.

1. Drop the glass panel in favor of a much simpler conventional panel with gps/com combo like the GNC250.
2. Move the fuses off the panel
3. Use more driven rivets internally

Driven Rivets

Just curious why this is on your list. Can you elaborate why you are wanting more driven rivets? What do they gain in using them over pop rivets?

Its only a matter of personal preference, I have all the riveting equipment and skills learned from building an RV-6, then an RV-9a. Plus I love using the tungsten bar!
I also like that they are more capable of enlarging to fill a imprecise hole, are stronger in all respects (even though not needed), clinch the parts together really hard when set, and look more airplane-like.

Now if I could find a dental oven to anneal -4 rivets so they become super soft, then work harden and age back to normal strength after being set I would use AN-470 rivets in the skins too, but in the as-bought condition I dont want to risk denting up the thin skins setting the large rivets.

Dave Anders did this on his award winning -4.
Rick

Its only a matter of personal preference, I have all the riveting equipment and skills learned from building an RV-6, then an RV-9a. Plus I love using the tungsten bar!
I also like that they are more capable of enlarging to fill a imprecise hole, are stronger in all respects (even though not needed), clinch the parts together really hard when set, and look more airplane-like.

Now if I could find a dental oven to anneal -4 rivets so they become super soft, then work harden and age back to normal strength after being set I would use AN-470 rivets in the skins too, but in the as-bought condition I dont want to risk denting up the thin skins setting the large rivets.

Dave Anders did this on his award winning -4.
Rick
Well, I know for me, all of the additional labor involved with driven rivets is a negative. The tedious drilling, deburring, dimpling and then having to line someone up to assist with bucking got really old for me.

Simpler panel

1. Drop the glass panel in favor of a much simpler conventional panel with gps/com combo like the GNC250.

Guess I also struggle to see what advantage there would be to the simpler, conventional panel unless someone just prefers a conventional panel (and I can understand this given that I fly an older Cessna) or is looking for lower costs. From a build perspective, it definitely will not be simpler, as the RV-12 is designed with the current panel in mind (actually it has a pretty simple panel as far as glass panels go). Any significant deviation would basically mean not using any of the pre-fabricated wiring harnesses. So while it may be simpler in appearance or lower in cost, it certainly will not be a simpler build! I was able to install all of my avionics in less than 14 hours- hard to get much simpler than that! It would be interesting to see what the actual cost of a conventional panel would be by the time you factor in all of the instruments, avionics, wiring harnesses, and other accessories you would still need to gather together to build a working panel.

Jeff

Unless you had the self control to go REALLY simple (J-3 Cub level instrumentation), the Dynon EFIS and Garmin Gizmo-mounted X96 is probably the simplist and cheapest route possible these days.

In the RV-9, you had the choice and it got a Dynon / Comm radio / Xpdr / Gizmo mount Garmin panel. Simple and (relatively) cheap.

and without the X96 gizmo, it is even cheaper!

Unless you had the self control to go REALLY simple (J-3 Cub level instrumentation), the Dynon EFIS and Garmin Gizmo-mounted X96 is probably the simplist and cheapest route possible these days.

In the RV-9, you had the choice and it got a Dynon / Comm radio / Xpdr / Gizmo mount Garmin panel. Simple and (relatively) cheap.

Just to add- between the time the kit prototype was introduced and avionics kits were released, Van's also eliminated the X96 gizmo and created their own mounting mechanism so it presumably saves another $100!:)

I finally see the light ...again!

Yep you guys are right, as I look closer at the as-designed panel in the -12 it is everything I need and not much more, it took me a while to realize the engine kit was a bargain and now I see that the factory avioncs panel for the 12 is spot on as well.
Install it as designed, plug the headsets in and everything works the first time with all the avionics integrated which is somthing I probably never could have accomplished.
Thanks Guys.

Yep you guys are right, as I look closer at the as-designed panel in the -12 it is everything I need and not much more, it took me a while to realize the engine kit was a bargain and now I see that the factory avioncs panel for the 12 is spot on as well.
Install it as designed, plug the headsets in and everything works the first time with all the avionics integrated which is somthing I probably never could have accomplished.
Thanks Guys.

It is an amazing package, IMHO. Things just work. The details are already worked out for you. Less thinking is better for me, I can concentrate on the build. I would rather be flying than thinking about what gizmo to buy. On the -12 it is already done.

I haven't built a -12 (yet) but I continue to give it heavy consideration. The only part of the airframe I don't care for is the style of the lower cowling. Is there a way that could be changed to improve the looks a little?

also, no one has mentioned wheel pants yet. More complexity with no real gain?

Wheel pants

Pictures in this forum;
Wheel pants

RV-12_FrontMain__Medium_.jpg

Amen - Rudy

You are right on, man.

Hope that by the time I get there, your suggested items will be available from Van's as part of the RV-12 package. Van's says in their literature that they are watching as the avionics manufacturers offer new items. Otherwise, I'll like the 496, etc. The panel is awesome as is! Wouldn't a fully functioning SkyView and a D-180 be enough?

Would like to be able to buy a G-30 and G330 as substitutes in my kit from Van's as well. It's just me - I am not afraid of the flamers.:cool: