dan carley

Well Known Member
never had this problem before today,if I reduced the throttle to idea the engine would stop running. it was a very humid day and above 80. any ideas on where to look?

thank you
dan carley

Is the engine running normally? Does it pass a mag check without excessive drop or roughness? Does the engine run like it may have a fouled plug?

Is the engine carbureted? I had this happen twice on landing roll out im my PA-28-180 after making an approach and landing and forgetting to use carb heat on final. It was definately carb ice because after I got it restarted it ran rough when I tried to advance the throttle above idle, then I applied carb heat and 10-20 seconds later the engine shuddered and "swallowed" the ice then proceded to run smoothly.

Check throttle and mixture control rigging. Make sure the throttle arm on the carburetor contacts the WOT stop at full throttle, and the idle adjustment screw at idle. Make sure the mixture arm on the carb contacts the carb body in both the full rich and lean cutt off positions.

If the rigging is not correct fix it prior to performing any adjustments. Use the idle screw to adjust the idle speed with the engine at operating temperature and the mixture at full rich. If the idle speed is set with the engine is cold, the speed will increase when the engine comes up to temperature. Idle speed should be between 550-650 RPM.

never had this problem before today,if I reduced the throttle to idea the engine would stop running. it was a very humid day and above 80. any ideas on where to look?

thank you
dan carley

What engine? I had an IO-360 die at idle in the pattern but could not replicate it on the ground. It turned out to be that that the idle mixture was set too rich. Engine guy said you wanted the minimum rpm rise when shutting down.

-John

this is a 320 carb engine. it's been running great for 150 hr smoh, this is the first time it ever did it. I have not changed any thing.

dan carley

Check your fuel pressure, that is sometimes the first sign of a failing pump.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

Had same problem on my O320 several years ago, ran fine for a year or so then started dying at idle. Turned out to be the floats in the carburetor were filling with fuel causing the carb to basically flood out the engine at idle. Found out an AD for this exact problem had been released about 6 months before I had the problem. The engine was new when I installed it and only had about 50 hours on it. Removed the carb and sent it to a carb shop that applied the AD (replaced the floats) and that fixed the problem.

See http://msacarbs.com/pdf/SB-2_B_RPLmnt_of_Foam_and_Hollow_Floats_062209.pdf

Last edited:
Had same problem on my O320 several years ago, ran fine for a year or so then started dying at idle. Turned out to be the floats in the carburetor were filling with fuel causing the carb to basically flood out the engine at idle.

Yup, this is a very common cause of your symptom (running too rich).

Last edited:
Had same problem on my O320 several years ago, ran fine for a year or so then started dying at idle. Turned out to be the floats in the carburetor were filling with fuel causing the carb to basically flood out the engine at idle. Found out an AD for this exact problem had been released about 6 months before I had the problem. The engine was new when I installed it and only had about 50 hours on it. Removed the carb and sent it to a carb shop that applied the AD (replaced the floats) and that fixed the problem.

See http://msacarbs.com/pdf/SB-2_B_RPLmnt_of_Foam_and_Hollow_Floats_062209.pdf

And it is amazing this problem persists. Floats were sinking 30 years ago and continue to do so today. (?)

There were changes from composit to metal back to composit to who knows what, all driven by cost no doubt.

I am amazed it is still going on....

There were changes from composit to metal back to composit to who knows what, all driven by cost no doubt.

I am amazed it is still going on....

Anyone plotted dates of changes in ownership vs dates of AD's on that product?

Who done it? Was it the chicken, or the egg? ......