prkaye

Well Known Member
I may have gotten my hinge pins mixed up, and I want to be sure I put the SS ones on the cowl. Is there an easy way to (nondestructively) identify SS hinge pins, or to differentiate them from aluminum ones?

I may have gotten my hinge pins mixed up, and I want to be sure I put the SS ones on the cowl. Is there an easy way to (nondestructively) identify SS hinge pins, or to differentiate them from aluminum ones?

If you are talking about the .125 " (1/8) pins for the heavier hinge used around the firewall, the aluminum pins that come installed in the hinge are very soft and will easily bend with your hands. The stainless will not.

Al Vs SS hinge pins

The Al pins are pretty obvious by their weight, but if you have any question, the Al won't spark on a grinding wheel.... SS will.

I don't know what stainless the pin is, but if one pin is attracted to a magnet, that would be the steel one.

Try and clip the end off the pin with a pair of dykes. The alumium will cut easily. You won't be able to cut through the SS with dykes.