WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
The audio player I am installing in my panel is also a FM receiver (no, not a automotive unit, will save that for another post). I don't have much need for the FM, but if there is a cheap and easy way to add an antenna, I might as well do so.

I was thinking about using some single-conductor shielded wire and the strip back one end to act as the antenna. Maybe run it up the front of the roll-bar support or inbed it in the adhesive for the windshield.

Any other ideas? Anyone know what the correct antenna length is for FM 88-108 MHz? Or maybe this is a waste of time and I should just leave it off...

Thanks,

Last edited:
The audio play I am installing in my panel is also an FM receiver (no, not a automotive unit, will save that for another post). I don't have much need for the FM, but if there is a cheap and easy way to add an antenna, I might as well do so.

I was thinking about using some single-conductor shielded wire and the strip back one end to ac as the antenna. Maybe run it up the fron of the roll-bar support or imbed it in the adhesive for the windshield.

Any other ideas? Anyone know what the correct antenna length is for FM 88-108 MHz? Or maybe this is a waste of time and I should just leave it off...

Thanks,

The quarter wavelength length is about 2.5 feet.

Does your radio have a coax input, or something else?
Truth is modern radios are very sensitive, almost anything will work!

Does your radio have a coax input, or something else?
Truth is modern radios are very sensitive, almost anything will work!

This player is a super-simple device, right now the only antenna connection is a through-hole solder pad on the circuit board. Sounds like a shielded wire with 2.5' exposed would do the job.

My FM Stereo is connected to my spare Nav antenna.

The FM band is close enough to the aviation VHF band that we use in our aircraft that any Aviation VHF antenna should work. Frequencies are close enough and the FM signal is strong enough that it will work. Actually a two-meter ham antenna would also work. You should not have to buy any of these. There are plans to make them that should work.

Wire

I had a cheap car type cd/fm radio, for an ant, I just had a piece of wire (no shield) ran it behind the panel worked great, could pick up rock/roll 50+ miles out. No need to go crazy.

Cheap

500px-Make-a-TV-Antenna-with-a-Potato-6.jpg

My favorite, but it does cost a little more that the first one :D

629px-Make-a-TV-Antenna-with-a-Potato-Intro.jpg

Starting to sound like a plain-ol' piece of wire will do the job. I was concerned about picking up RF behind the panel, but it looks like that isn't much of an issue. Thanks for the help.