Fearless

Well Known Member
I broke off the oil return fitting in the side of the case for the No 2 cylinder. I tried to use an extractor to get the rest of the fitting to break loose but no luck. I don't know what was used when the fitting was bolted in place but I'm guessing so type of locktite. Anybody had any luck getting these out without any damage. I have the oil sump off currently dealing with another issue. I'd rather not have to drill it out and re-tap but it might be heading in that direction. The fitting looks to be a 1/4 NPT for a 3/8 ID hose.

i would try

a little heat (propane torch) and a snap-on screw extractor if you can find one.

I had the same exact thing happen to me once when removing the breather fitting. Extractors don't work very well because they actually make the situation worse. The best tool to use is to take a piece square HSS steel, like a lathe toolbit, and grind four tapered flats on it and drive it in so that it cuts into the left over threaded part, then wrench it out. My dad, who was a tool and die maker, taught me this one.