woodmanrog

Well Known Member
After our trip to OSH this year I am about to become a vendor for the new C.A.T. (Compact Adult Tricycle) My wife and I rode these around the airport all day and fell in love with them. Her comment at the end of the day when we returned the vehicles was " This was the best event ever because my husband isn't cranky from walking around all day in the 100 degree heat". We purchased 2 units for ourselves to use in our community and are loving them. These vehicles are electric powered, will run up to 25 miles at 16 mph on a single charge. They weigh 93 lbs and are collapsible. Made in the USA and warranted for 1 year. For details and more information contact: [email protected] or [email protected]

IMG_0060.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg

Really neat and useful scooter! You might want to get an EAA endorsement for them for AirAdventure use first. They limit scooters to "handicap type only". I used a medicare purchased, typical mobility scooter this year, and was challenged several times to "prove" it was in fact a "mobility scooter". It seemed so obvious to me that it met the qualifications.

Good question Dan,
These scooters qualify from the ADA and you can see the sticker on the front, right hand side of the battery case. We were questioned a couple of times but not really challenged once they saw the handicap sticker. I believe the reason for the questioning really arose from vendors ON the field selling a similar product and were trying to prevent anyone from coming in with thier own powered vehicle. One of the linespeople said that there had to be approval from EAA to be on the grounds but when confronted with the possibility of a suit from the Federal Government ADA act, they became really co-operative.

I felt it was to discourage the numerous faster non medical scooters that are everywhere and apparently to enhance rentals. Many of the vendors brought non mobility scooters along, and were generally challenged I noticed.
The monopoly enjoyed by the scooter rental group may also be a reason. Their rental was $65 per day this year, making my stay a rental charge of $650.00. If that isn't socking it to this old 240% combat disabled soldier I don't know what is. Maybe the goal is to discourage us from coming. A little competition could reduce that to 1/2 and still be profitable to the rental businesses. Since I was driving this year, I bought a used scooter for $50 (that medicare had paid over $4000 for) and put new batteries in it for another $150. So I am $450 ahead even if I toss the scooter in the trash.
I think you could sell a lot of them at AirAdventure if you set up a booth.

Thanks again Don,
The manufacturer of the C.A.T. had purchased a booth at Airventure just to be told that all of the spots on the airport were taken when he showed up with 13 scooters. He set up his display in the parking area which is where we met. I begged him to rent me 2 scooters but he stated that they were only for sale. At that juncture he said "just take 2 of them into the show with you and hand out my business card if anyone asks about them". He was actually willing to pay me a commission if anyone purchased a C.A.T. based on my reference. He didn't even ask for a drivers license or credit card and my wife and I just rode 2 of the units away. My kind of business people. Trust!!!!!!
After a long discussion when we returned the scooters at the end of the day, we tentively set up an agreement where I could become the Florida distributer. I just thought that maybe some airport people might be interested as a second mode of getting around without having to start a car. These units aren't a golf cart but for just moving from place to place, they are ideal. I now ride every day to our community pool 1 1/2 miles away and smile every time I don't use gas.