eddieseve

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

I am looking for some thoughts on things to check, I have 240 hours on my RV7 with IO-360, dual PMags, NGK D9EA auto plugs, Dynon Skyview and Garman 695 GPS.

Over the last 6 weeks my radio has started breaking squelch while I am idling on the ground warming up the engine, also in the air after radio calls from other aircraft, the squelch does not close after the broadcast finishes but stays open for 3-4 seconds which gets very annoying on long flights.

It never did this before and radio reception has always been prefect.

On the ground without the engine running and all avionics on, the radio functions normally, broadcasts are received and the squelch shuts down as soon as the transmission is complete.

I have gradually been increasing the squelch level which is helping sort of, but of course this will cause issues with receiving weak radio calls.

I am guessing I am getting electrical interference from something in the engine bay, but I am not sure what to check, so would appreciate any thoughts or ideas?

Cheers
Eddie

Last edited:
Spark Plugs?

The pmag standard plug is: NGK BR8ES SOLID 3961 Spark Plug

It comes as both solid terminal and threaded terminal. The terminals on your D9EA appear to be the threaded type.

Something to check.

Hi Eddie,

I suggest you eliminate any antenna issues first. Crimped BNC connections must be absolutely first rate, quality antenna and good groundplane bonding at the base of the antenna. This is a relatively simple procedure compared with identifying and elimination conducted or radiated interference.

Oops,

Yes I entered the wrong plus, ugh, I have the BR8ES, the others where in my old Jabiru Engine, age getting the better of me.

The pmag standard plug is: NGK BR8ES SOLID 3961 Spark Plug

It comes as both solid terminal and threaded terminal. The terminals on your D9EA appear to be the threaded type.

Something to check.

Cheers

Thanks. Doug

I'll check that tomorrow.

I'm hoping for other thoughts too, just incase the antenna is not the problem.

Hi Eddie,

I suggest you eliminate any antenna issues first. Crimped BNC connections must be absolutely first rate, quality antenna and good groundplane bonding at the base of the antenna. This is a relatively simple procedure compared with identifying and elimination conducted or radiated interference.

Cheers

Squelch

Eddie
Have you used a hand held radio to determine the source of the RF. Move it around to various locations until the squelch breaks.
Matt

Squelch

Since this developed afterward I'd check the stuff suggested by others first, but FYI, I had to send mine back to Icom for a tweak. Mine broke squelch as soon as any other avionics were turned on, they were adamant that the problem was elsewhere and I was told no adjustments were possible. Then like any good kid if you don't like the answer ask someone else, next time they told me to send it in and they would tighten it up. They did and it's worked great since.
Suggest if you go this route have them upgrade the software while there.
I think they charged me $60-70 for the service, even though it was under warranty. Something about having bought it in canada and I sent it in to Icom USA.
good luck, Tim

Thanks for the suggestions guys, much appreciated, will try these ideas today and if no luck I'll contact ICOM to see what they can do.

Cheers