Ron Lee

Well Known Member
This is nothing new. Several threads discuss it. When I bought my first replacement battery pack it was a Kendoo NiMH KBP-200H...9.6 V, 750 mAH.

Recently it got to the point where after a recharge it would last just minutes.

So I finally managed to get the battery case, KBP-197, to work with Energizer 2500 mAH rechargeable NiMH batteries. I had to use pliers to close the battery pack.

I then did a test where I left it on with the Energizer batteries. After being on 24 hours, with minimal use to transmit, I took it out to recharge the Kendoo battery pack. I tried the "shock" method since I really nada to lose. The Kendoo battery pack is now being recharged to see if the shock did anything.

What I don't understand is why there apparently is no battery pack that will recharge Energizer type batteries in the battery pack (attached to the radio). Seems like they perform far better than the Kendoo 750 mAH battery pack and I would guess better than the 1400 or so mAH battery pack that is available. If not, I may just get another KBP-197 battery case and just use Energizer rechargeables.

The shock method apparently helped some. After a six hour charge it was turned on. at three hours I tried to transmit on it and it died.

I put the Energizer 2500 mAH batteries back in the battery case after a recharge and ran it again. At 24 hours it seemed to transmit OK. At 27.5 hours when transmitting the display acted odd. Within an hour the batteries wore out.

These are not based based upon controlled transmit, receive and standby times but are close enough to show that the Energizer rechargeable option appears far superior to a 750 mAH battery pack. So I will likely not replace the rechargeable battery packs and just stay with the battery case filled with Energizer rechargeable batteries. I should get better performance at a far lower cost.

Great Idea

Hi Ron,

Can you post some pictures of what you did? Are you using the Icom charger or removing the AA cells and charging them externally?

There are some newer type cells that are better at holding a charge while not being used - these might be ideal.

eneloop.jpg

Thanks!

Pete, I am using regular Energizer AA NiMH rechargeable batteries in a case that holds them and inserts similar to the normal battery pack that is recharged through the radio.

If you look at the contacts at the bottom of the case here there are only two. The typical rechargeable battery pack (the whole unit is sealed) has three contacts.

http://tinyurl.com/648cvz

Here is a picture. On the left is the part of the KBP-197 "alkaline" battery case. It holds six AA batteries and in this picture four are installed. To its right is the cover. If you google this unit this number may be better: BABP-197H. Note only two terminals at the bottom. At the far right is the Kendoo KBP-200H battery pack (sealed unit).

I don't doubt that there are better sealed rechargeable battery packs. Some have much more capacity and different battery types may offer advantages. I believe that using these Energizer AA rechargeables (or pick your preferred brand) will be far cheaper in the long run...even short run.

ICOM1Small.jpg

Last edited:
Got it Ron

Here is a link to some reviews that indicate it might have too low voltage with alkalines - have you had any transmit issues with the NiMH?

I have been wanting to do this for a while - as I begin to work on IFR training it is time.

Pete, I have not noticed anything negative yet. In fact when I first tried to activate the runway lights with the NiMH rechargeables, I was able to do it with a hangar between me and the control building. Previously, with the old and probably weak Kendoo battery pack, I had to be close and line of sight to that building.

I will try to get some ground to air feedback after about six to eight hours of standby/receive time to see how it performs.

Thanks Ron -

This will make the A-5 a better backup. I always worry it will go dead when I need it most.

I realize the discussion is not about nicads, but here is how I learned to more effectively use my nicads:

I was disgusted with the nicads until I learned more about managing them. When the batteries got a little weak the unit would shut off when transmitting and when weaker still it would shut off when receiving. If I then recharged them, they weren't fully discharged before I started.

To fully discharge them, I disconnected the antenna and left the radio on for several hours. Without the antenna, it would not receive anything and would stay on until the batteries were fully discharged. Once I started this procedure I found I got several hours use out of the nicads as opposed to 20 minutes.

Richard, I did that (saw your post elsewhere) along with the shock treatment. I have no idea which helped but those batteries do eventually fail. I am going to try both rejuvenating methods on the original battery pack to see what I can do. The Kendoo unit is NiMH.

My plan now is just to buy another battery case to install Energizer type rechargeable batteries (or alkaline if you prefer) and I should be good.

I did read those reviews Pete linked to and yes, the battery icon does come on immediately. But when it lasts 24 hours or so I just ignore that flashing warning icon.

I ran another test with the rechargeable NiMH batteries. After 12 hours of mostly monitor mode I did test the transmit function and it appeared fine for aircraft near the pattern (from the ground). At 14 hours the transmissions were not ideal. So a realistic lifetime may be in the 8-12 hours range.

I feel good enough about this option that I ordered another alkaline battery case (got it today) and will have that as a backup.