avengingangel

Well Known Member
anyone have any experience on how these compare? I currently have a200 and would like to slide in the a210. Is it a direct plug into the existing tray and wiring or is there any mods which need to be done?
Also, on another note, my radio has always transmitted and received well, however there does seem to be a back ground noise problem when not trans or receiving. Today on my way back from a fly in I did encounter a problem receiving, it started out with a cutting in and out on receiving and then got worse, so I had to alter my flight path away from the control zone I was entering. Upon arrival at my airport I started receiving better.
i hope this doesn't turn into a radio haunt.

The 210 is a direct replacement. I've owned both. I use an audio panel, as well as leather mic muffs, and there is no background noise between transmitting and receiving. The 210 uses a computer type ribbon to attach the main face to the unit, because of the full face animated display (if you haven't heard about it, by now). Just don't try to shove it into the slot in the dead of winter cold. Replacements are only around a dollar if you do ruin the tape. The 210 also has knobs, that don't require rubber replacements like the A200. And of course, the dual watch feature is more convenient.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Someone in another thread suggested adjusting the mic gain on the ICOM 210 if you're having problems with background noise. I keep forgetting to try that, but I have the same problem.

hmm, interesting. So, there's a good chance with the 210 installed I'll still get the background noise. Well, I'm going to upgrade anyway because i like the options on the 210. I wonder where I would start looking for the background noise problem, must be something with the install?

The problem I had today i would have to assume was more radio (unit) related. Strange how it broke up for a good 20 minutes, then returned. gotta be more unit related than wiring or bad ground problem, antenna.?

I have an A14 -- really a good unit. However.. the response from both a dealer and supplier have been pathetic. The after sales service to me is one where I would never deal again.. Maybe try another manufacturer.... probably all brands have the same chinese manufacturers ??