vonjet

Well Known Member
Ok, I know there is some $150 tool to install the circlip on the ICOM a200 BNC connector in the tray.
Has anyone got a cheap method to get these on without buying this thing for 2 clips?

Thanks in advance.

Drive yourself down to Harbor Freight in Camarillo and buy the circlip pliers they sell for $10. Or, buy the reversable ones at Lowes for $25. I fiddled with that dang circlip for 2 hours before buying the tool. :rolleyes:

I used to live in T.O., by the way.

Lostpilot

FUnny you say 2 hours. Its exactly how long I spent messing with it today. Finally got them on with some frustration, pretzeling of my fingers and yelling at it. I wont do that again.

You must have smaller hands than me! I tried for an hour and a half alone...then recruited my wife to help, but that didn't work. I was mad at myself for not buying the right tool for the job and saving 2 hours worth of work! :rolleyes:

I was too

I wish I would have bought the tool. But someone told me it was a special tool that cost 150. So I resorted to using a socket, a long round file, needle nose pliers and 2 hours of aggravation. But they are on so Im moving on.

Go to the local hardware store or hobby shop and buy a piece of 1/2" diameter thinwall brass tubing. (K&L?). Stack the washer and snap ring over the BNC and push.

I struggled with the snap-ring pliers forever the first time I put it together. When I accidentally popped it off I was dreading a repeat. Tried the tubing, which I just happened to have in the scrap pile, and it worked like a champ. Literally took 30 seconds.